LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery 3 unknown air suspension problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 06:52 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery 3 unknown air suspension problem

Hi all, I have found a 2008 Discovery 3 for sale with a full service history. Asking price, 4000 Euro (3600 quid) but, and it's a big 'but', the wagon has an undiagnosed fault with the air suspension. It's being sold by a trader who (truth or not) says he has no idea what's up with it, just that a height sensor was replaced and now it won't lift up at the back. If it's a easy job, such as change the compressor, or even the compressor and the sensors then it might be worth a punt. I'm thinking of doing the work myself with my mate 'Youtube' as back-up. How pricey/technical could it get? Is it worth the risk or am I barking?

Old 06-16-2019, 05:30 PM
Winching
Received 105 Likes on 94 Posts

I think you are asking the wrong group.

On this forum, most people work on their cars themselves, so we would say "If it were me, no problem dive right in", but not knowing your level of mechanical skill I can't make a recommendation to buy or sell.

Most everything suspension wise can be done in the driveway. with most basic hand tools or a few specialty tools that can be rented at the parts store.
I am not sure what you have in the way of tools, but if you intend to keep a modern Land Rover, sooner or later, you will buy a Gap Diagnostic IIDTool. I recommend sooner rather than later.

As for real question: should you buy it or not....... can't help you there, but if you do buy it and have problems, I am more than willing to help solve the issues you encounter along your Land Rover ownership journey.

Welcome to the forum ,and good luck.

Jeff

Old 06-17-2019, 03:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem with my Range Rover, which just lowered it suspension and I don't know what to do as yet , will you help?

Old 06-17-2019, 06:04 AM
Winching
Received 105 Likes on 94 Posts

Sandiso,

People on this forum are willing to help with advice and try to steer you in the direction of the broken part, but it requires some diagnostic work on your end.

First, are there any diagnostic codes (DTC) showing up when you use a code reading tool? Without that it can be mostly guessing. That said the system needs to have power to run the compressor, a control module to make the pressure and height sensors work and the tank, lines and air bladders need to physically hold air. Each of these can be looked at one at a time to find the problem.

You should start with getting the DTC's and then get back to us.

Jeff