LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery3 vs. Lr3 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 11:09 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery3 vs. Lr3 ?

I IN Pennsylvania & just purchased a 2006 LR3, EXCEPT the badge on the back says "DISCOVERY3". I realize that that's what it's called internationally, but I'm curious why it's on the back of a U.S. bound LR........... Any idea? It was built August 2005...........

Old 12-29-2010, 05:33 AM
4wd Low

mkellcat,
Your vehicle was obviously rebadged unless you can prove that it is a UK spec. You can buy a "Discovery 3" decal very easily online. Decals can be removed by using dental floss or better. As far as the different name, it's all strategic marketing in my opinion. This article explains it better:http://www.populararticles.com/article225456.html

As far as Discovery 3 model, it's the cool factor and sheer uniqueness of it, especially if you have a RHD. Model trims, engine choices, etc.. are different in UK or elsewhere outside US. Some standard things like auto fold side mirrors with puddle lights and factory installed proximity alarm are not offered to the LR3 in US. These are just some of the things that I know, there are possibly more. This name change seem to be only occuring on the Discovery model probably because the Range Rover line is already well know globally, so no need to change. It all boils down to the customer and the location.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:36 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Yeah, you can buy "Discovery 3" logos to replace the LR3 logo. I'd probably do it if I owned one.
Basically it was called a LR3 in the US because Discoveries (1 & II's) had such a bad reputation here that Land Rover decided to call it a LR3 knowing Americans were too stupid to know they were actually Discovery 3's, so they would buy them.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:46 AM
2nd Gear
Default Still perplexed

Thank you both for responding so quickly.
I knew of the name being different here, why, but the previous owner didn't seem like a HUGE Land Rover fan (though he took IMMACULATE care of it), at least not a big enough fan to rebadge it............
It's a LHD car bought in Allentown, PA with every conceivable option (though it doesn't have the lumbar support shown in the manual), but no puddle lights, so I'm pretty sure that it was US bound. I ought that it might have slipped through because it was built in August at the beginning of the 2006 model year.
Thanks again.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:23 AM
5th Gear

Sounds like yours was wrongly badged on the production line. Prolly the first or last in a US spec production run.

Being a Brit, my LR3 will always be a Discovery 3 to me no matter what the badge says. I just don't get the strategy here...seems a bit short sighted. If they bring out a new model of Freelander (LR2) what are they going to call that in the US??? Or is the Range Rover Evoque going to be the end of the line for the Freelander?

Watching with interest.....

Old 01-11-2011, 01:36 AM
4th Gear

I know a few people over (or should I say down) here who have put LR3 badges on their vehicles just to be a "little different" ... I don't care what mine's called - I just know that it goes great and takes me to some wonderful parts of Australia ... and that's all that matters !!!!
cheers

Old 01-15-2011, 09:43 AM
Mudding

Depending on the build date, it could have been a pre-production vehicle. NWOODS had one that was a rare coil suspension with v6, and he had no badging on his. Check the build date on the sticker affixed to the door. If prior to October '04, it probably is preproduction, brought in for LRNA to drive around.