LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Waterpump Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 10:02 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default DIY Waterpump Help Needed

Hi all. Looking for some help from anyone who's done a water pump on their LR3. I posted on a similar string but no responses yes...

I'm not overheating, but I am losing coolant, and I can pretty much hear the water pump bearings... doesn't sound hot. I did a bunch of homework via the forums and looking a the shop manuals and felt I could get this done myself.

First thing I realized (which I clearly misd) is that the water pump runs off the rear belt, not the one in the front that's really easy to get off.

So, I was reluctant to take that rear belt off because it's route is a bit complicated and I'm a bit worried about getting it back on: But - I was stumped as I believe in order to get to the rear belt, I need to remove a pulley or an "IDLER HUB" as this video refers to:

Conveniently, the video is edited so it doesn't show him actually removing the hub. Jump to 7:50.

At 8:20 he removes the three bolts (i did that), and then poof; the video cuts out, and re-appears when the pulley is off. It doesn't show him actually removing it.

My problem is the bolts are out and the hub isn't budging. Can I go banging on this thing??? Any help with this will help me get to the second part of this job.

Second question; anyone know if the belt can be just moved from the water pump pulley and moved out of the way rather than removing that whole complicated belt?

Last edited by mirepoixmatt; 02-05-2015 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:50 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 141 Likes on 111 Posts

This is what it looks like...

I'm sure the pulley is just rusted/fused to the actual wheel that the belt rides on. I would spray some penetrating oil around the back side and hit it lightly with a metal hammer a few times. Let it soak, then come back and whack it with a rubber mallet or try to pry it off.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:10 AM
Mudding

No dice. I attempted to do the pump but I'm being stopped at this pulley.

Upon doing some additional research about doing the water pump you must:

1. Remove Drive Belt.
2. Remove the accessory belt
  • In order to do this, you need to remove the crankshaft pulley**
THIS, is my issue. My two questions are:

Can someone confirm that there is no way to gain access to the accessory belt without removing the crankshaft pulley?

Second question is: does anyone know if there is a way for the DIY'er to get the pulley off without these special tools? (See Crankshaft Pulley PDF)

https://www.cubbyusercontent.com/pl/...icle%20Repairs

Looks like I'm headed to the dealership.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 141 Likes on 111 Posts

So, I'm not sure why you would need to remove the crank pulley to accomplish this. But... just to make sure... we're talking about an LR3, correct? V8? From what I read from the manual, here are your steps:

1. Drain coolant
2. Remove fan belt (the outermost belt) - this is done by simply using a wrench to compress the spring on the belt tensioner, thus relieving the tension and allowing you to slip the belt off.
3. Once the fan belt is off, you need to remove the pulley that you were talking about above (the cooling fan drive pulley). This involves removing the 3 bolts that hold the pulley onto the hub, then removing the 5 bolts on the hub itself and taking the hub off.
4. Remove the fan belt tensioner completely (1 bolt)
5. Release tension on the accessory belt by putting your socket in the designated hole and leveraging it. Remove accessory belt.
6. Remove the coolant pump pulley by removing three bolts
7. Remove an additional 5 bolts to release the coolant pump. Remove pump and gasket... discard gasket.
8. Assembly (with new gasket) is reverse of removal.

There should be no need to remove the crank pulley (and if you DO need to for some reason), then you usually need a special tool to keep the engine from turning while you wrench on the crazy tight bolt. The only reason I can think of to remove the crank pulley is replace the oil seal behind it. :P

Let me know if you need more help... I can post the service manual instructions which is what I listed above (but manual has pics).

Old 02-14-2015, 07:59 PM
Mudding

Ok. So the gist of what you're saying is: the pulley that Remails after I remove the fan does NOT need to come off for me to remove the water pump.

For some reason I thought it needed to come off to get the rear belt off.

Thanks for this. Will give the gig a shot tomorrow.