LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers Side Not Getting Hot Air

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 07:30 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Drivers Side Not Getting Hot Air

Just discovered the drivers side climate control won't blow hot air... I figure it's probably a blend door issue, so I am asking for anyones advice on where this door is located, if it's the best or worst one to access... thanx.

I also believe there was a reset procedure for the doors if I'm not mistaken... can't recall.

Help, it's Dec in Canada...lol

Old 12-10-2016, 11:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Drivers side footwell. It is the lower Servo motor.until you get a new one you can detach the one that you have and keep it plugged in. You can manually move the blend door. If you turn the fan to the third position the bland door should stay in position to keep hit sir coming to the drivers side. Phil

The following users liked this post:
EastCoast (12-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 05:13 AM
Winching

Thanx ljdiscovery. What are the chances its the temp sensor for the drivers side climate control? Or are you confident its the blend motor?

Old 12-11-2016, 08:25 AM
Winching

Did a search and found Bbyers write up... I didn't see any follow ups if there was resolution to the problem though.

Has anyone that's had this issue, fixed it?

Old 12-11-2016, 08:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I can only give you my experience. It is pretty easy to access and remove from the hvac box. Remove the footwell cover that is below the drivers dash Once that is out you will be able to see the Servo motor. There are two. The lower one is the easiest to access and is the one that controls the blend door for the drivers side heat. I assume that you are getting heat on the passenger side. Unscrew the motor. Keep it plugged in and turn on the hvac and adjust the drivers side temperature. When working, e motor should move that blend door only moves about 90 degrees. I
The default position is for cold air to the drivers side. There is a small post that sticks out of the heater box. That post is connected to the blend door. You can use pliers and turn the post counterclockwise about 90 degrees. It will fall back to the default position when you release it. If you turn the fan on to position three or higher the blend door will remain in the heat position. When the fan is turned off you can hear the blend door fall back to the default position. There is a white plastic piece that is about an inch long. It connects the Servo motor to the post on the heater box. I found it easier to manually flip the blend door using the plastic piece I will try to take some photos for you. Phil

Old 12-11-2016, 09:28 AM
Winching

Thanx Phil... that helps a lot. Pics would be appreciated!

Did you determine the problem to be the servo motor absolutely or just hoping?...lol

Old 12-11-2016, 09:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle

One more thing that I forgot. There is a front cover below the steering wheel. Pull that off. Two clips at the top and the bottom pulls up and out. Not the white piece on the motor and where it is placed on the heater box. Good luck. Phil

Attached Thumbnails Drivers Side Not Getting Hot Air-img_2366.jpg   Drivers Side Not Getting Hot Air-img_2367.jpg   Drivers Side Not Getting Hot Air-img_2368.jpg   Drivers Side Not Getting Hot Air-img_2369.jpg  
Old 12-11-2016, 10:37 AM
Winching

Thanx Phil... is there any special procedure for reinstalling the actuator after I testit? Will the white arm line up properly by just sliding it into the housing?

Also, for yourself or the forum in general, have to tried to flush the heater core?

Old 12-11-2016, 03:42 PM
Winching

Well, going to get my shop to flush the heater core and replace the coolant sometime this week... probably never done and a result of the dexicool breaking down.

Will update with the results...

Seeing as every thread dealing with this issue never seems to resolve with changing the actuators, I think the flush is prudent and overdo anyway so I'll do it first. Then I can look into actuators later.

I'm still wondering if there is a sensor or module that is responsible with so many examples of this happening with not so many positive results? I know the schematics only show one temp sensor but I don't understand how one sensor can control two sides independently... defies logic, imo.

Old 12-11-2016, 05:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

You can also try resetting the hvac unit. Instructions are on the forum. It might clear up the issue. Phil

Quick Reply: Drivers Side Not Getting Hot Air