LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivetrain noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2023, 12:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts
Default Drivetrain noise

Hi folks, lately the '06 is getting a bit loud on the freeway. The humming/droning doesn't get louder with throttle input but does quiet down a bit with left steering wheel input. Does that sound like a bearing? I know I can jack it up and do the wheel-shake test to test it, just wondering if anyone here has insight.

Old 11-08-2023, 12:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

If the steering wheel changes the noise, yes, I think you’re on the right track. It still could be something else though so definitely do your basic checks. RockAuto has Timken hubs for a reasonable price.

You can do both fronts from a maintenance standpoint, which I have done on several vehicles, but I have also found that some bearings go bad and some don’t. Doing just one side isn’t a bad idea.

The last bearing I did was the right-rear on my son’s 2008 335i, 190k miles. He never heard it over his stereo. I heard it before I left the driveway! I did only the one side and all is great now.

Old 11-08-2023, 02:54 PM
Camel Trophy

One of the fronts was recently done, and the Tech (he is a good one) said the other one was "okay." That was a while ago but not that long ago....maybe a year or 8k miles. A recent inspection during a front brake job revealed that the tie rod ends are worn....could that make such a noise? I have done a little bit of DIY things on this rig (coolant reservoir, EAS compressor and tank) but I'm not much of a mechanic, so I appreciate the advice.

Old 11-08-2023, 07:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Default As

I’ve not known tie rod ends to cause a vibration or noise. It sounds consistent with wheel bearings. Luckily both are easy to check if you have a jack. YouTube will show you how to the shake the wheel to check both.

I’ve had to replace a wheel bearing after 10k (different vehicle), so it could happen. Or it could be the other one has started to fail.

Another simple thing to check is that there is no debris stuck between the backing plate and brake rotor. Super easy to wash grit and gravel into that spot and it will make an awful noise until it’s freed.

Old 11-08-2023, 09:06 PM
Camel Trophy

Thanks all. I just had the brakes including rotors replaced. I did a bearing check when I had the other one replaced. The front passenger get one seemed bad, it the Tech said it was fine but the driver side was bad and replaced that one. I'm just gonna do it. I know what the shake test will yield.

​​​​​

Old 11-12-2023, 03:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 717 Likes on 603 Posts

Always do wheel bearings in sets. When one started to go on my LR3 I did it but decided to by a second bearing and check out the other side. No noise yet, but there was play at 12/6 o'clock. So a new one when on that side within a couple weeks of the first. There really is not much that can react to steering.

Keep in mind you can just jack the knuckle up from under the lower ball joint for testing. So testing is quick. No need to break out the jack stands, etc.

The following users liked this post:
houm_wa (11-13-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 03:54 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lr3 2006 rumbling sound when turning left only

Hi guys got a lr3 2006 90k miles got a strange noise a rumbling sound is the best to describe it,
it took me 5 hours to remove the wheel bearings due to rust and it was seized on but managed to get them swapped with new ones as the old ones were starting to grind, no I'm stumped with this noise I have removed the brakes and discs all cleaned and checked all ok, drop links good, steering ends good no play, I'm aiming at the possibility of the drive shafts any suggestions.

Old 11-19-2023, 06:16 PM
Camel Trophy

How are the rear bearings? Drive shaft is a possibility, but those typically cause noises at higher speed. If you are getting rubbing at lower speeds I put money on rear bearings - which are not exactly easy to replace.

Old 11-20-2023, 09:35 AM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Didn't think about the rear tbh, beside the rubbing sound I do feel the vibration from the front right would that be felt from the rear ??

Old 11-20-2023, 09:25 PM
Camel Trophy

The issue with dueling noise is that is travels the frame making sounds or sensations seems like they are coming from an area when they are not. Did you check the front bearing before replacing? Easy to do. So check the rear bearings for play. Get under and feel the driveshaft. It should not flop around but it should move at the center as it sits in a floating rubber isolator - which often fails.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain noise