LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Battery/Electrical Mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 10:18 AM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dual Battery/Electrical Mods

I've done some meandering through the forum and searching but I haven't found what I am looking for. However, I am betting this has been covered-

I am planning on adding a 2nd battery to my 2007 LR3 4.4 using a Traxide kit (not sure which one yet) and I would like to set it up that all of my electrical mods route to the 2nd battery- cb radio, lights, winch, some constant interior power outlets. Here is my problem...I do not know as much about wiring this as I should. Can someone just point me in the right direction? Is there a book I could read or previous forum posts? I see the posts where people show the awesome wiring they have done but I need to learn about how they chose the relays, fuse blocks, etc. The last vehicle I ran a lot of electrical mods on was a Jeep CJ5....a slightly simpler set up.

Thanks for your help on this.

Eric

Old 08-20-2016, 10:47 AM
Winching
Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Aux battery setup

I have the Traxside Sc80 (the complete plug and play kit with the cables and connectors) which made the install VERY easy.I have a ham radio, 155 watt light bar and rhe 12 volt outlet in the left rear all connected direcly to the aux battery in the box on the left side.

All of these are routed through the hole in the firewall between the steering shaft and the wire bundle on the far left side of the firewall. Each is fused next to the battery (both positve and negative). The ham radio uses 12 guage stranded wire, the 12 volt outlet for the fidge and the light bar each use seperate 10 guage sranded wire.

The fuses can be found at the local auto parts store. The wire may need to be purchased on line as most of the wire at the parts stores won't tolerate the heat or checmical exposure that the wires may encounter.At 12 volts and 20 to 25 amps, the last thing you need is a wire set with low quality insulation.

Just one way to do things. Not all of this is my knowledge along, I have used the vast knowledge base here on the forum. You may yet be given other options based upon your needs and personal desires.

Good luck, let us know what you did. And as always..... No pictures, it didn't. Happen 😋

Jeff