LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EAS Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 07:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts
Exclamation EAS Control Module

...ever been "locked out" of the EAS Control Module? Apparently after many attempts to calibrate my height sensors, the EAS Computer won't take inputs. Any ideas on a remedy? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

What system are you using?

There is pretty much nothing that the ECU cannot recover from on this system. My first step would be a hard reset and see if that clears everything up.

The factory system only allows a few attempts, and then kicks you out of the calibration program. But you can go back in, usually have to clear out faults before going back in.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Camel Trophy

Hi Dave; I am not doing this myself, the Dealership Service Dept is. I believe they are using a system called IDS. A hard reset may not be a bad idea. Is there any other way to clear out faults, using IDS or otherwise?

Old 05-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Exclamation Visual Aid

I snapped a photo of my LR3 at the Dealership parking lot. Clearly the back end is WAY high. Considering there is one new sensor in the front psx side and one new wiring overlay in the front driver's side...I think there is some kind of (lack of) communication issue with the EAS Control Module, or a CANBUS issue.

Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas on how to get the IDS talking to the EAS CM again and/or how to get proper sensor range values into the EAS CM so that it will calibrate?

Thanks much! I've been Rover-less for 11 days and I'm having withdrawls.

Attached Thumbnails EAS Control Module-uber-extended-mode.jpg  
Old 05-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Pro Wrench

They should be using SDD, but still... First off they need to find out if the RLM (Ride Level Module) is communicating. Be that with a network integrity test, or checking Datalogger or the EAS diagnostic utility, I would do both, to be sure that not only is it reporting back, but that the data it is sending is in tact.

If it is, then the issue is one of two things. Either they made a mistake in preforming the repair, and didn't install the sensor or harness correctly, which is causing the front end not to really know where it is, or think it is somewhere that it is not, and not allow the rear to level because it is trying to adjust the front(ie, the front is reading that it is way too high, and trying to lower, but cannot go any lower so it is not allowing rear adjustment until the front goes to where it wants to be) Or secondly, there is an issue with the exhaust valve not allowing the rear of the vehicle to vent.

If there is no communications to the RLM at all, there is a completely different set of checks and repairs, however, in this case, the dash would be lit up, and the vehicle may not even be able to start, depending on the type of comms failure, as the RLM is a HS CAN pass through, not a branch.

It can be somewhat difficult to get these to calibrate, if the technician that is doing it doesn't know exactly what he is doing, that could be the problem, however after this long I would assume another tech would have stepped in.

Also, it would be helpful to know when it is failing the calibration, as in will not go into the application, or will not accept any numbers, or fails out after putting in the numbers after the third try.

Also, has your compressor been replaced? Not that I suspect that in the least, aside from an exhaust valve issue, but if the software was not updated correctly it can cause strange things like this to occur.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Camel Trophy

Dave,

I still have a Hitachi compressor. I recently updated the relay and re-freshed the dryer so I'm hoping to get another year or so out of it. I have confidence in the tech that is working on it currently; however, he did completely miss the broken wiring loom (I caught it...in THEIR shop!) so maybe he should look over that install again. The sensor on the passenger side was changed and the wiring on the driver's side was changed, so with all that change, there could be some error in that.

I can't rule out the rear not exhausing but it was working perfectly fine before, in terms of raising up and down including the rear. It was only after the wiring was re-done that the back end went nuts-o.

Based on the circumstances, and the symptoms you describe above, it sounds like it could be in the wiring.

Yet another theory is that maybe after the wiring was done, the numbers were out of whack and that happened to be the third attempt....? I know they'd tried to calibrate a few times before we discovered the broken wiring loom. Then one more time afterwards.

Dave, what do you do in the case of being locked out (after three tries)? What is the way back "in?"

I appreciate your help!!

These forums are invaluable.

-Erek

Old 05-11-2013, 08:22 PM
Pro Wrench

There is no actual lock out.

When calibrating, you enter the distance between the center of the wheel hub and the wheel arch on each corner. The RLM takes the info, and assigns that height to the voltage it is seeing from the sensor at that position. Then the truck will raise lower itself, to a similar, but not exact height. You take the measurement and enter it again. It is not the same distance, and if the distance you entered is more then 3mm off of what is expected based on sensor voltage at the new height, it makes you do it a third time. If the same thing happens on the third attempt, it fails the calibration, and you need to start over.

I am going to assume it is not a communication issue here, as that would be way too much of a coincidence. I think they're chasing the calibration, but there is a problem that isn't allowing the truck to raise and lower itself to the appropriate heights to calibrate. In this case, I would use the 'Ride Level Diagnostic Interface' application in SDD and see what is going on. With that, they will be able to see sensor voltages, and control the individual valves. You can also see gallery pressure, and see if the exhaust valve is working properly. It does take some knowledge of how the system should be operating to effectively use this tool but I'm sure someone knows how to use it (not trying to sound like a jerk, but a lot of techs are more focused on nuts and bolts and not diagnostics)

I would be willing to bet this is a simple solution, just needs to be properly identified. Ask them how it was sitting immediately after replacing the sensor and wiring. Calibrations should be done after that repair, but it is not absolutely critical, as in it will if nothing else be pretty close. So if they did the repair, then it started sitting strange, I would be looking at that.

Why did they do the sensor and overlay, what symptoms or fault codes was it showing?

Old 05-11-2013, 11:18 PM
Camel Trophy

I can tell you that before the overlay was done, the LR3 was sitting pretty nice and level at off-road height; however, the 4x4 info display showed it at Extended height and there were a few amber faults, namely an adaptive headlight fault and a suspension fault.

They did the overlay because the wire loom was severed. Cut in half! ....and they did the sensor (on the other side) because it wasn't calibrating. My hunch is that the sensor didn't need to be replaced; it wasn't calibrating because the wire loom that it spliced into was severed and we hadn't noticed it yet.

After the wiring loom was replaced is when the rear end went up in the sky.

Dave, I've always heard "IDS" and not "SDD." Have you ever heard of IDS or are these two systems the same and maybe they are just called different things by different people?

Old 05-12-2013, 10:00 AM
Pro Wrench

IDS is Integrated Diagnostic System, it's derived from Ford's old WDS system that Land Rover adopted for a short time before making it their own. SDD is System Driven Diagnostics, and is what IDS became a few years ago. They are pretty much the same thing as far as actual operation to the car, and what can be done, but the interface is different, and SDD is all that is supported now.

SDD runs on the IDS (Panasonic Toughbook) machines, so you may see the laptop say IDS on the back of the screen, but it should be running SDD, as that is all that gets updates.

Yeah, I would be taking a look at that wiring, but like I said, proper diagnostics should be done, and will point out any problems very quickly.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Camel Trophy

Dave, let me see if I can summarize:

1. Check the wiring loom repair to make sure that the correct wires were connected AND to make sure the wires were shielded from each other properly.
2. Use SDD and do a network integrity test, or check Datalogger or the EAS diagnostic utility.
3. Use the 'Ride Level Diagnostic Interface' to see what's going on within the system.

I'm not sure how to properly order and describe each activity...so if you'd be so kind as to help sort it out, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Erek

Quick Reply: EAS Control Module