LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EAS Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 09:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

No not a problem before. Could it be this?

Failure of multiple height sensors, cross-articulation when driving, calibration corrupted

Old 05-13-2013, 09:04 PM
Camel Trophy

It is a VERY strange case. The vehicle was still not quite level up front and the alignment was off-kilter. It tracked okay but the steering wheel was cocked. The SA took it for a spin. Well he called ME from the freeway; it'd thrown a fault and told him to go less than 30 mph; dumped to Access height (NOT bumpstops, curious...) and one of the icons he thinks he noticed was the Adaptive Headlights Icon. He limped it back to the shop and put it on SDD and it said something about cross-articulation, that's what made me think of that verbiage from the pdf.

Anyhow, they cleared that, may've tweaked the calibration a little more...and by the time I got there the vehicle was fine. I mean it looked level, the steering wheel matched the wheel direction...and there were no faults stored. Seems like all is well now...

...anyone ever heard of this? Does the new strut need to orient itself somehow? Did my Rover just like the SA driving it?

I'm confused...I'm happy to have my LR3 back, but I'm confused.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:55 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Houm,
Sorry if I came across as a dick, it wasn't intended that way.
With multiple posts for a problems that seem to be different,
but all stem or snowball from the root cause it's tough to help out.

A likely reason for the headlamp level warning illuminating
would be from the steering wheel being off center after alignining
and not recalibrating the steering angle sensor. the tell tale would be seeing the wheels on the nav screen(if you have one) as turned while the steering wheel is straight, or the wheel direction not matching the steering wheel. It can be a couple of degrees off and throw the fault.
The cross articulation fault, Well.. if you have the nav screen you can go into off road mode and view the sensor heights while you're driving, if any sensors are intermittant, you'll see them wiggle and change heights.
I'd be looking at the rear sensors since you've already replaced the fronts.

Cheers,

Old 05-14-2013, 08:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Cross articulation faults can get tricky, as they don't throw for an axle. It basically sees that where the truck says it is, is not plausible, and throws that fault. For example, if the RF and LR sensors are reading lower then the LF and RR while driving, the truck can not physically do this, unless bent in half. This is usually a sensor, or sensor wiring issue, but can easily be caused by an incorrect calibration.

I would not concern yourself with the AFS fault at this point, as that should work itself out once the suspension is taken care of, if it was not a problem before.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Camel Trophy

Mike, no worries man...I was probably just feeling a little testy after 13 days without my LR3.

I think you are on to something too, because the steering wheel was indeed cocked when the service guy was driving it and got that fault. It has since corrected itself, too.

...does a new strut need some "cycles" to sort of bed itself in? Seems like the whole thing, with all the changes (new sensor, new strut, new end link, new wiring loom) needed to just work a few things out.

I'm happy it's home. I'm a little upset about having bought a sensor that I didn't need and a stupid upper control arm that I really don't need...but oh well. They are relatively cheap parts.

BIG Thanks to everyone who contributed to this post.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Good to hear. The strut is plug and play, if you will, they just had to get it calibrated right...

Keep us posted on how it is after a little time.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:03 AM
Camel Trophy

Will do!

I probably should move that wiring bundle to the top of the frame, too.

....I just hate to increase the wires' bend radius even more.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:33 PM
Camel Trophy

At last! My LR3 is spot on dead accurate. The dealer couldn't quite get it right...and it was the folks at GAP Diagnostics to the rescue! They walked me through the calibration process, which I now fully understand. The IIDTool is really an amazing device. I feel vindicated; and the dealership has offered some services to me in order to rectify the situation (that being me having paid for a calibration that didn't stick).

Thanks all.