LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EAS disconnect switches (writeup)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 04:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

Well Build Mode alone doesn't make the business case to spend $800...it's all the other stuff the IIDTool can do that makes it worth it. Just throw Business Case on the list of terrific features...

Old 02-29-2016, 12:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Yes I should clarify this should not be a case of switch OR IID tool, more of giving yourself a few extra options. Getting my tool out and my phone connected to it isn't terribly annoying, of course it does many, many other things. I just prefer this to playing around with build mode every time I might need to get it on a jack or change a tire etc.

Still love my GAP tool.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle

EAS switch update

Ran the switches in the truck for a few weeks to make sure they worked and did not interfere with anything else, now it was time to adjust the location.

MAIN switch (F26E)

Opening both covers got old, fast. Used the step bits from the snorkel install to make a perfect-sized hole for the switch to fit through.

Just drilled each step, deburred and checked for fit. I forget what diameter was best but each step up was in 2mm increments

That way the wiring will be protected by both covers, and the switch can be actuated from the engine compartment (IE hood open).

As noted, a hole was drilled in an empty spot in the wall of the fuse box. I wanted simple, clean holes that I could blank off if I removed the switch assy. later.

Had to make a wiring extension so replaced the U-shaped ends with round ones that were exactly sized to the screw-down terminals of the toggle switch. Opposite ends were wire-crimps with shrink tubing.

Switch fitted. ON position denotes EAS-ON, or LIVE. OFF position denotes EAS-OFF, or SAFE/INACTIVE (photo shown of the EAS-OFF position)
The switch fit snugly in the hole, and the two threaded nuts were tightened down to clamp the switch to the plastic wall. Nice and solid.

Now just open the hood and flip the switch to disable the EAS (photo shown of the EAS-ON position)

AUX switch (F35P)

installed in glovebox

left enough wiring to reach through into the glovebox

temporary mounting point. Since moved into the glovebox and left to sit behind everything. In the position pictured it would keep triggering suspension faults but the wiring was fine. In a stationary position it does not bother anything. Harder to get to, looking for a permanent home.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle

More F26E switch stuff

Since the toggle is somewhat exposed outside the box I thought this was more appropriate

Found little rubber caps for toggles that thread onto the switch, bought 10

Still need to find a labelmaker to make this switch more user-friendly

Old 04-11-2016, 02:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Switches have been fitted for going on two months now. Zero issues to report