LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EAS Front Valve Block Disassembly

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 02:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cmb6s

I realize that removing the actual voss connector from the valve block is a fairly simple affair of using a 12mm wrench and unscrewing it. However, it was not straightforward or apparent as to how to release the hose from the connector... even when both are out of the block already. That brass "washer" looked to be part of the connector and it took a while to realize that it was a separate piece. Then, after realizing it was separate, I still couldn't get it to release its death grip on the hose.... :P
In that case, if the hose and brass nut and connector were still attached, why would you have to remove them at all? I would think you could just screw them right back into the new block and the compression action would reseal the hose? I may very well be misunderstanding this though...

Either way - great write up!

Old 08-19-2015, 02:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

To be clear, I DID purchase a new valve block (for $155 I think). I just disassembled the old one for curiosity's sake and to provide people here with a view of how it works. I'm keeping the valve block I took apart as a spare, but the purpose of this wasn't to rebuild and reuse... more just to see how it COULD be done if one wanted to.

Cool! I must have missed where you said that. Where'd you get yours for $155? I'm in need and refuse to pay AB's asking prices.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by schwaggy
Cool! I must have missed where you said that. Where'd you get yours for $155? I'm in need and refuse to pay AB's asking prices.
I actually got mine off of eBay from some dealer in NY w/good reviews.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:42 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

I actually got mine off of eBay from some dealer in NY w/good reviews.
^Sounds like Lucky8.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by AtlantaViking
In that case, if the hose and brass nut and connector were still attached, why would you have to remove them at all? I would think you could just screw them right back into the new block and the compression action would reseal the hose? I may very well be misunderstanding this though...

Either way - great write up!
Sorry... think I missed this question before.

The new valve block comes with new voss connectors attached to it. I suppose you could unscrew the new voss connectors and simply screw the old voss connectors (sitll attached to the air lines) into the new valve block... but, why would you want to? I was trying to track down an air leak. I'd be pretty ticked if I went through the whole exercise and put everything back together only to discover it was still leaking because one of the seals on a connector was bad instead of having an internal valve block leak.

Just trying to cover all of my bases.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:27 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice article, I just did the similar thing but for reservoir valve block, in the middle. I don't think that we can remove the hose and we shouldn't cut the hose line. I did unscrew the VOSS and carefully remove the small one on the other side to release the hose with screwdriver. I believe this kind of VOSS is one way only, you push in the hose, pull it back little bit and job done, hose connection is locked and sealed.

I double check in LR3 manual, you need to install new VOSS connector if you want to install it again, however I didn't try to clean it but buy a new part.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 717 Likes on 603 Posts

Thread necromancy. Sorry, but hate to start a new one.

I did my front valve block today. Was pretty easy and straight forward thanks to this thread. For anyone trying this without the ability to depressurize the system, its not 100% necessary. I also did not remove the wheel but I had it turned full to passenger side (right side). I placed supports for the chassis to rest on under the Rover and removed the liner. At the valve block I first slowly loosened the green line until I heard air escape and stopped loosening the nut. The vehicle slowly lowered onto the supports. When I could no longer hear air escaping, I removed the line. Then I removed the other two lines. The rear never lowered, just the front as expected. For o-rings, I bought a kit on eBay for $35 USD. Probably pretty pricey for a bunch of o-rings, but in my eyes its well worth it since one does not have to figure out all the sizes needed.

For installation, you can turn the nuts easily enough by hand to make sure you are properly threading the lines without causing cross-threading in the soft plastic valve block. Once they are started, tighten with wrench. The air lines are very flexible and will not easily be damaged. You could try some silicone lubricant on the ends of the lines to help with installation. I did not replace the o-rings on the VOSS connectors as the kit did not come with them. But if the block still leaks, it will not be much trouble to do those. Will find out in the morning if its leaked at all.

One thing I did notice is that the block seems to have slight warpage where the halves meet. I wonder if this is the cause of some problems.

The following users liked this post:
lmh (02-17-2021)
Old 03-16-2018, 04:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts

I successfully cleaned/rebuilt my front and rear blocks.

I also refreshed the compressor and desiccant.

They were much better for a while, but now the front needs another clean/rebuild - i believe because there was SO MUCH dust in the lines from the old, bad desiccant.

I wish there was a way to clean out ALL the lines?

Old 03-16-2018, 04:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 717 Likes on 603 Posts

Well one could certainly locate each end of each line, disconnect them and purge with some sorta cleaner that would not compromise the line material. Thinking spray can solvent followed by high pressure air compressor (garage compressor, not the vehicle unit). That should remove most. Anything in the page themselves will probably never work back into the system.

But I agree. When I rebuilt mine there was that white powder. I have worked on several air line systems on cars and never saw that before. Must be unique to the desiccant used by Rover. A rebuild of my compressor with new desiccant is next.

The following users liked this post:
lmh (02-17-2021)
Old 05-27-2020, 12:16 AM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is an old thread but... About to change my valve block on a 2011 LR4. As I look through this thread, it hasn't been clearly established if I should reuse the existing connectors or use the new Voss connectors that will come with my new unit. Anyone? If removal is suggested, it there an easy way to remove the connector and directions on how to install new hose connectors?

Quick Reply: EAS Front Valve Block Disassembly