LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine System Fault.....Again

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 07:35 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by DillJLoc
Well, I might have figured something out because it didn't act up today.
So far since the -Engine System Fault- occurred I have done the following:

BG44K Fuel System Additive
New Interstate 900 CCA Battery
Cleaned MAF and Throttle Body
Replaced burnt out parking light bulbs

Today we drove to Austin...there and back (bout 180 mile round trip) and not a single problem.
Fingers crossed I'm onto something
Bingo...

A bad brake switch can also cause random chaos but I would venture you've found your gremlin.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:59 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah yes. That was the first thing I replaced when I bought the truck in September.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:42 AM
Drifting

Well, Engie System Fault came up again. This time with code P2105.
Im gonna go out on a limb and suspect the throttle body is heading out?
I cleaned that and the MAF a while back and it’s been running great ever since.
Its safe to say that if you repair one thing, another item gets jealous and wants attention. Lol damn

Old 03-07-2019, 09:56 PM
Drifting

So I bought a throttle body. Bought a new MAF sensor. Replaced the battery. Replaced the alternator. New brake light switch.
Had a lengthy drive the other day and of course on the way home, after a 120 mile journey the car chimes and Cruise Control Not Permitted/Engine System Fault. No check engine light and goes into limp mode. I’m in traffic, so I throw in neutral and turn off and turn back on, out in drive and everything is fine. Funny cause when I do that..all is fine and the fault message in message center goes away.
Im pretty sure this is an outcome of the truck sitting outside in the rain when I don’t drive it for a couple of days.
I had it towed to my favorite independent place in San Antonio and after 3 days they couldn’t find a single thing wrong and truck wouldn’t replicate the problem.
Picked it up today and drive it home and not a single problem!
Got home and sealed off the cabin air intake under the cowl, sealed the cowl down with windshield adhesive, sealed with gorilla tape the sunroofs and sealed up the A pillar.
I called some dealers and workshops and nobody has ever encountered this cruise control not permitted/engine system fault and limp mode situation.

Am I losing my mind or what?! Lol

Last edited by DillJLoc; 03-07-2019 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:20 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good luck

Sounds similar to my situation. I sent mine to a shop after messing with it for close to a month. I came up with a few issues that would act like it was better but it wasn’t . A few hours or even a day or two later and it would go back. I purchased a disco to fulfill my need of working on a LR. Hopefully we will get the 3 back soon. There is too many avenues togo down so I am hoping that the shop can pinpoint what the problem is with the diagnostic tools they have. Just finding a shop that wants to work on a later model is a chore in itself. I was turned down by 3 Indy LR shops.

Last edited by mi gusta; 03-12-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:13 PM
Drifting

Damn, man! 3 shops?? Yeah..since the check engine light won’t pop up, then that doesn’t point them in any direction.
I am in the same boat..just throwing parts till something happens to fix it.
I don’t mind doing it, the car runs great...I just want to drive it and not have that feeling of wondering.
Got a clockspring, accelerator pedal, brake light switch and steering control switches off a donor vehicle from a yard. Replaced all and drove today. Here’s hoping. Also sealed any areas where moisture might get in.

Im very optimistic

please let me know how yours goes. What is it doing that is similar?

Old 03-13-2019, 06:18 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine will go into a limp mode. Hdc fault, tranny fault it’s been a while since I have dropped it off. The radio and blower motor would shut off four way flashers would come on and if you shut it off at this point it would not restart for an undertermined amount of time. There is a red light that says “park” and until that is off it would not restart. During that time I would have close to 30+/- codes if the park light was not on the truck ran perfect. I don’t have a nanocam or IID computer scanners and not being to well versed on electrical I didn’t want to just throw parts at it. I found a shop but it was told to me upfront that my truck wasn’t a priority because they were more in the business of restoring and modifying defenders and discos. We were ok with that. I’m confident we will get it back working correctly. Not sure what we will do at that point. I think it will depend on what they find. I love the 3 but maybe we will go check out a 4

Old 03-13-2019, 08:54 AM
Drifting

Good lord! Sounds to me like brake light switch, battery, alternator or maybe even clock spring... even a faulty ground.. With it at a good shop, they should be able to get to the bottom of it.
Sometimes I really don't think mechanics these days put enough time into investigating anything without a check engine light on.... did yours come on? Please keep me updated on your findings.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:21 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by DillJLoc
Good lord! Sounds to me like brake light switch, battery, alternator or maybe even clock spring... even a faulty ground.. With it at a good shop, they should be able to get to the bottom of it.
Sometimes I really don't think mechanics these days put enough time into investigating anything without a check engine light on.... did yours come on? Please keep me updated on your findings.
agreed, check the ground wire off the battery for any corrosion.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:27 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 721 Likes on 606 Posts

The ground point in the engine bay is very susceptible to water corrosion if the hood seal is pulled away from the cowl. Water can then get between the hood and cowl and can dump right onto the ground point - and computers a bit. My seal has shrunk so I plan to buy a new one then apply a small amount of silicone to keep it in place. It like to pull away with simply opening the battery cover.

Quick Reply: Engine System Fault.....Again