LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Farewell Hitachi compressor or not ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 12:07 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe I have an old Hitachi in my garage. I replaced it with a new one and I am unsure what caused the old one to crap out. I will have a look to see if the piston still moves. If it does it may be rebuildable.( I never bothered).

Old 04-15-2015, 02:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Erik, have you personally seen/installed this yourself? I am only asking because I want to be optimistic, and there was another poster on this forum that said he tried it even with the re-lo bracket and couldn't get it all to button up. He said it was super noisy due to contact between the compressor and the frame rail. I asked if there was room for some kind of dampening material and he said "no" and that in the end he gave up on it because as he was tightening the bolts he could see that it was going to "squish" the compressor (for lack of a better term).

I will try to find that post.

Found it:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...n-72686/page2/

Last edited by houm_wa; 04-15-2015 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Added Link
Old 04-15-2015, 02:48 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

I have seen it, and also heard the rattle. Unfortunately all these trucks are different and the sliders, being hand built, all line up differently. With that being said, on the one I saw, there was room to put deadening material between the 2 pieces and soften the rattle.

FWIW, we have developed new and improved sliders that offer the same protection, but also have a well on the drivers side that is deep enough to accommodate the AMK compressor and keep it inside its housing.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:59 PM
Camel Trophy

...doesn't a deeper well mean a lower-hanging protrusion on the bottom of the slider?

I can appreciate what you are saying about the differences on how these pieces all line up. That's why I said the AMK "may" not fit somewhere up in the thread. I am just going to have to cross my fingers when my turn comes (I do have the relo bracket; in my shed, at the ready).

Old 04-15-2015, 07:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Well...
I really wanted to try new Dunlop , for sure and be the first one to answer those compatibility questions regarding a RS slides, but yesterday got a call from a friend of mine, that will have a working Hitachi unit at the end of this week for me . This is a great news for me as I did not wanted to spend over 700 for a new compressor, especially now at 163 000 miles.
Since I already have a new dryer ,springs , O rings and piston sleeve for rebuild, I will be able to put a new life in the compressor that I am about to receive as gift.
I don't know about you guys, but with my current state of driving, in 5 years my LR3 will have 300 000 miles .Old compressor lasted me over 10 years and I truly need just a connecting rod for it , so I guess , rebuild will last at least half of that time, I hope...I am also in talks with another guy , that would sell me a rebuild for very reasonable price. That way I would end up with two working units and that is what I am aiming for , for now.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:01 PM
Camel Trophy

I have heard good things about the AMK, as far as reliability goes. If I can get a new one up there and all buttoned up and never have to take my sliders off again I'll be happy. I have 117,400 miles currently and at my rate I'll < 250,000 miles in 20 years (yes, you read that correctly) so my next compressor may very well be my last.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by WNYErikDiscoII
I have seen it, and also heard the rattle. Unfortunately all these trucks are different and the sliders, being hand built, all line up differently. With that being said, on the one I saw, there was room to put deadening material between the 2 pieces and soften the rattle.

FWIW, we have developed new and improved sliders that offer the same protection, but also have a well on the drivers side that is deep enough to accommodate the AMK compressor and keep it inside its housing.
Are these new and improved sliders on your site?