LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few notes from Houston

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 12:11 PM
Winching
Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
Default A few notes from Houston

We are still evacuating, and water is still rising. After a boat ride down the street and out of the neighborhood, a bus ride to the shelter and a truck ride from a friend, my family and I are safe. For now. We see many shelters needing items, and since we are with friends, we are much better than most. Next weekend, when we can get back into the house, we will give them things such as cloths and duffle bags that we have upstairs if they are still dry

i have contacted the insurance company and it appears both the 2007 LR3 and 2010 LR4 are a total loss.(seems these trucks don't do well sitting in 3+ feet of water for a week)

i am asking for help from the folks in San Antonio, Austin or Dalles. I am looking online for LR3s and 4s in these areas. After the insurance is settled I may need help doing a quick look over and test drive in the upcoming weeks.

Based on year and milage, i realistically seeing the adjuster to say 10K for thr LR3 AND 20K for the LR4.

I am forced to travel 200 plus miles to get a car that is already for sale so I don't get one that is flooded like mine, and hate to make that trip for a worn out wreck with a good detail job from the dealer

As the city is still flooded and evacuations are still going on, this may seem self serving, but I am in a place surrounded by two flooded bayous worried we may need to be evacuat3d from here,and can only plan for after the waters retreat as we are otherwise helpless right now.

Any help locating, inspecting and test driving a used truck would be helpful.

Thanks in advance
Jeff

Old 08-29-2017, 12:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

I'm glad to hear you and your family are safe. I was actually just looking at a reply you wrote yesterday, noticed that you were from Houston, and was hoping that you were okay. My wife works for FEMA and is being shipped out today to help with disaster relief. The minutia of trying to get your life back to normal after a disaster isn't usually something that's covered by the news. Once the risk of loss of life dissipates, so does the interest of most Americans. I hope you're able to get everything sorted out fairly with the insurance company. I think Katrina proved than may be more difficult that anticipated.

Last edited by cmb6s; 08-30-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:08 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Good luck.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:19 PM
Winching
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't know why they didn't evacuate before it got so bad. Glad you got out OK, but sad to see two Land Rovers get totaled.

The salvaged LR3's that are going to be showing up in the next couple months are going to be an electronic nightmare. If it were 2ft or less, and you had time to put them in off-road height (or even better, extended), I would say they might be OK with full fluid changes, but I doubt the double door seals would hold back water for a week.

I saw pictures from the area where people had put their cars on jack stands in the driveway in an attempt to keep them high and dry.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:21 PM
Winching
Default Drowning resuscitation

We were expecting wind, got the rain. Water rose over 4 feet in less than an hour. At 3:00 am water at edge of yard, at 4:15 am water shin deep ihouse.thtoo deep to drive out of the neighborhood. they say it was a 1000 year flood. BUT they were in off road ride height in the garage just in case

Let say that it was less than 24". It will banunderwater from Sunday to Thursday.

As a thought exercise, How about a list of things to do/inspect before I turn the key.
Lift carpets and drain water from floorboards with shop vac;
Put fan under carpets;
Drain compressor case to remove standing water;
Look at the oil for water; if required, change the oil;
check fluids in front and rear diff;
Check fluid in transfer case;
inspect the cable connections in the threshold channels;
Where is the vent for the tranny? It may have been above the waterline;
put battery charger on batteries;

And of Course..... What long term affects will arisei later on?

In the last 12 months, I put on all wheel hubs with new bearings, two new front struts, 4 disks and pads, coolant replacement and I have 8 Genuine Land Rover control arms sitting on my workbench that would have been next weekends project. So..... I have become quite attached and would like to revie if possible before giving up.

And ofcourse still looking for a used LR3 in San Antonio, Austin or Dallas.

Jeff

​​​​​​

Last edited by Rufflyer; 08-29-2017 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Big thumbs
Old 08-29-2017, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Glad you and yours are safe and sound Land Rovers can be replaced.

If you find any you need checked out in my neck of the woods of Georgia let me know.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Rufflyer
In the last 12 months, I put on all wheel hubs with new bearings, two new front struts, 4 disks and pads, coolant replacement and I have 8 Genuine Land Rover control arms sitting on my workbench that would have been next weekends project. So..... I have become quite attached and would like to revie if possible before giving up.

And ofcourse still looking for a used LR3 in San Antonio, Austin or Dallas.

Jeff​​​​​​
I'm chuckling because these are all things that I need to do in the next few months. New hubs/bearings (front right is going) and new control arms because my bushings are completely shot. Discs and pads can't be too far off because they've got 40-50k on them I think.

The only advice I would give in retrospect would be to disconnect the battery before leaving the car and throw vaseline on all the electrical connectors that you can reach. :P

BTW, if you were lucky enough to only get 24" of water or so above ground level in the garage, then I wouldn't be surprised if the cars make it through unscathed. Those doors are double sealed and the seals are pretty awesome. The weak point would be something like the spare tire well where the winch bolt goes through the car. If you do get lucky in that regard, then certainly a drain and refill of the diffs and transfer case. Tranny fluid maybe, but I honestly think that if the fluid isn't getting out through the mechtronics sleeve, then water's not getting in through there... It's those breather hoses that are the question... how good are the seals around where they come into the casings? I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Last edited by cmb6s; 08-29-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:04 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by djkronik57
I don't know why they didn't evacuate before it got so bad. Glad you got out OK, but sad to see two Land Rovers get totaled.

The salvaged LR3's that are going to be showing up in the next couple months are going to be an electronic nightmare. If it were 2ft or less, and you had time to put them in off-road height (or even better, extended), I would say they might be OK with full fluid changes, but I doubt the double door seals would hold back water for a week.

I saw pictures from the area where people had put their cars on jack stands in the driveway in an attempt to keep them high and dry.
https://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/uv/?site_no=08077647&agency_cd=USGS

Look at the 4 am ro 6 am time fram from 8 to 12 feet. No one saw this coming.

i saw cars up in lawns, parked on overpasses and such, on tv today. But not a one of them was in Dickinson, TX they were in Houston proper.

Back on topic, I need to just look at the numbers and see if it will cost me more in the next 3 years to fix the problems as they come up, or wind up financing a new one​​​​​ and wind up doing all the work I have already done on this one.

BUT FIRST...... i need to get to it and see where the final water line was.

I will keep you up to date.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

@Rufflyer, glad you are alright, and yeah, the vehicles can be replaced but it sounds like you've put a lot of blood, sweat, and love into them. Thanks for the updates. Let us know where we can help. Till then you're in our thoughts and prayers.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:08 PM
Winching
Default UPDATE tha magic number is 23

I made it to my house today. Pulled my rovers from their watery graves. (Imbarrassingly it was an F150)

Checked everything that was previously listed.
Started it up ran at 2000 rpm to blow the water out of the exhaust and let it come up to temp.

Worked all lights, radio ride height settings, and terrian special featuers as well as low range.

Did the same with my wifes LR4 and am now questioning whether to let the insurance co pany have it.

What is below 23 inches that can go wrong? The only thing i don't know is the height of the tranny vent.

Any recommendations thiught or rants? I am truely torn give what i know about these trucks.

Jeff

Quick Reply: A few notes from Houston