LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fisrt LR3 with a drive across Canada

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 06:24 AM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the workshop manual now extracted, I used RAR Expander which worked a treat.

As for the diff issue, has anyone ever split a diff to replace the faulty/worn bearing or gear. I know they tend to come as sealed units, but it just seems a lot of cash for what is likely to be one worn part. I suspect the issue may be getting LR to provide the required parts to reassemble.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:21 PM
Mudding

Well I changed the oil in the front diff today, had to grind off one of the sump guard bolts though to get that off. When I got the drain plug out it was a gooey black mess of fine particles, but thankfully no significant swarf. The oil was also pretty bad,very black and quite thick, so don't it was changed for quite sometime - perhaps there was some cutting corners when it was serviced me thinks. To be on the safe side I'm going to replace the rear diff oil and the tranny oil too. As for the noise, its still there, but less than before. I'm going to get it on a ramp and check all the wheel bearings over the weekend and other parts of the drive train.

Last edited by spannermonkey; 12-21-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:17 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spannermonkey
I suspect the issue may be getting LR to provide the required parts to reassemble.
Contact member "unseenone" on here - Todd has researched this greatly and I believe has rebuild kits available with superior parts....

Old 12-21-2012, 12:43 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Front differential breather cap mod.

Since you did the front differential oil, you might want to replace the front differential breather cap with the newer design. It is a thirty dollar item and and about the only fix I know that you can do standing up and also keep your hands clean.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Breather Cap Front Differential installation

Old 12-21-2012, 04:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the workshop manual now extracted, I used RAR Expander which worked a treat.

As for the diff issue, has anyone ever split a diff to replace the faulty/worn bearing or gear. I know they tend to come as sealed units, but it just seems a lot of cash for what is likely to be one worn part. I suspect the issue may be getting LR to provide the required parts to reassemble.
Yes, You can split the diff and repair it. I have done it. But would not do it for a customer.
Unseenone sells bearing kits for the front, and bearing kits plus ring and pinions for the rear. Ususally the front diffs just need the bearings replaced in the diff and r/s outer axle extension tube, along with cleaning the paint out of the inside of the cases. If you're in a pinch for time or have limited mechanical abilities and tools, I wouldn't personally recommend trying to rebuild one
(it's enough fun removing and re-installing it) plus the money you'll save on the kit you'll spend rebuilding it and not get the warranty on the new or rebuilt complete unit.
As far as the breather goes you can replace it with the $35.00 updated one or snip the end off and loop a piece of hose on it.

Cheers

Old 12-21-2012, 06:56 AM
Mudding

Thanks guys again.

Breather kit is a simple fix and will be done when I get home and any work that can be done without getting dirty will be welcome. As for the diff, yes I can certainly cope with that level of work, but for now just don't have the time due to the xmas festivities.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:37 PM
Mudding

Well folks, both diffs have had their oil replaced and the rear was very good, only a slightly darker shade than new oil. The front was certainly in need of replacement. Thankfully, nothing in on the mag plugs beyond the fine particulates.

Still looking for a block heater cable - if anyone has a part number or details of the required cable I would be grateful if they would post details.

Also getting new tires fitted tomorrow or the next day.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you getting for tires?

Old 12-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Mudding

Not sure yet, waiting to see what my dealer comes up with for prices tomorrow. I like Toyo observe-02, Pirelli Scorpion Snow and Ice and Bridgestone Blizzaks but I am open to see what he can come up with as there is not a real wide choice in the 19 rim size. I'm looking for a winter tire that works real well on ice and will change to different rubber for the Spring/Summer. Again if anyone has experience or recommendations feel free to post.

Also have to sort out the cable to get the block heater working as the temps where I work will be down to-35 or even -40, so its something I really want to get.

Last edited by spannermonkey; 12-26-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:25 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Block heater cord etc

Still looking for a block heater cable - if anyone has a part number or details of the required cable I would be grateful if they would post details.
Following are the part numbers and prices off my Land Rover dealer invoice of a few years back for the block heater and cord installed in my 4.4L petrol V8 HSE.

Block Heater Assembly: LR part number VUB504640 $94.28
Block Heater Cord: part number 3600003 $42.84, (probably Temro part #)

In my case, contrary to what I had anticipated, there was no factory installed block heater. Labour will be another couple of hundred at least plus a charge for coolant.

The link below is to a post I did up with a link to a Temro pdf listing the Temro heater part number 3100107; my guess is that the block heater cord is Temro 3600003, the part number for the cord for the 83 to 86 2.8L V6 in the Ford Explorer. This is a five ft long cord with what is called a Straight connector at the block heater end.

An alternate part number is Temro 3600005 which is a similar five ft long cord speced for the Jag 4.x engine with the same 30mm threaded Temro 3100107 screw in block heater.

Australian Land Rover Owners - View Single Post - Importance of Garaging

Quick Reply: Fisrt LR3 with a drive across Canada