LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fisrt LR3 with a drive across Canada

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 06:22 AM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Fisrt LR3 with a drive across Canada

Hi Folks,

I've just joined the forum and as always there is a wealth of info. I have just picked up a 2006 LR3 HSE and love it. I previously had a P38 RR and although I enjoyed driving it, the reliability was terrible, new engine, EAS faults, water leaks, electrical problems and just general day to day joys of owning one. This LR3 had a fairly pampered life and the previous owner has a file of bills for everything from LR. So I know the airbags, pads, rotors, some of the other suspension components have all recently been replaced along with other things so its in pretty good shape. Its had regular maintenance as per the service schedule too.

I actually live and work in SK, Canada but picked up the truck in Toronto, then drove it straight to NS (24 hours of driving). I am going to be driving it back to SK after the Christmas break so will have given it a pretty good shake down over 5000KM and will be able to take my time over quite a few days.

I do have to change the tyres so am looking at all the threads on that topic, but want to know outside of the top rated winter ones that seem to be discussed on here has anyone tried Toyo Observe GSi-5 or other similar Toyo tyres. Where I live they tend not to plow, grit or salt the roads so a real good ice tyre is a priority. After the winter I be looking at some summer tyres that will cope with the rough stuff.

Things I have to do: There is a rumble from the drive train somewhere, which I think is either a wheel bearing or a drive shaft/diff. There is the normal rumbling whump whump whump noise when under power, but off power and even in neutral I get a continuous rumble/growl type noise. The noise does not change when cornering, but I can't determine where its coming from just yet. I have the truck in the garage today for a safety inspection so hope they can come up with something. I don't mind a repair, just don't like the idea of a possible bearing or other drive component that's worn with a big drive ahead of me.

I am going to be getting a Faultmate, but if anyone knows of a good place to get them, other than the UK or is looking to sell theirs, please shout out. Given that I will be using the truck in some fairly remote locations at times I don't want to be stuck with a fault that can be sorted easily especially with something like the Faultmate, even if its just to get me to a local garage. Just for info I do carry the required survival kit just in case. I will be getting a winch fitted too, but as I am not going to going far from the hard stuff for now that can wait for the spring.

As I live and work in SK the winter temps get below -30 (a bit chilly), I'll be getting a block heater fitted, but has anyone got experience with remote starts. I've seen a fair bit of 'don't fit them to the LR3' type of posts on the net, just looking for factual info if anyone knows for sure.

I have already tried the truck in a local off road area and was amazed that even with the tyres it has on now (nearly worn summer tyres) it was unstoppable and runs rings round my old P38RR. The locals in their variously moddified and lifted creations just looked on with open mouths as this strange looking black box was able to get over the bits they were getting stuck on - fab!!!

One last point is I am also looking for a copy or where to obtain a copy of the LR3 workshop manual. The posts I have looked at so far seem to focus on the older Land Rover products - anyone got one for the LR3, even if there is a price?

Well, any comments or answers will be appreciated and I'll let you all know how the big drive goes in a couple of weeks when I head back to SK.

Cheers for now

Old 12-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Mudding

Well after a little more investigation today it looks like it may be the front diff that is causing my rumble and other noises. I will take a sample of the diff oils tomorrow and see if there is any indication of swarf in them. I've already been quoted over $2K for a new front diff from the local dealer or around $1K for a recon. Ah well at least it will then be good for another 100K

Old 12-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a link where you can download the manual set. Big file, with tons of information; workshop manual, electrical diagrams, TSB's, training modules, etc

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...8834&styleid=4

non-mobile link
https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...ownload-48834/

Last edited by ghengis86; 12-19-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:20 PM
Rock Crawling

Here's a link to my thread for fluid/filter changes with pics. Might help with your front diff issues. Drain and check the plug for chunks. fine shavings are normal. If you don't know when the fluids were last changed (although it sounds like the records are meticulous) it'd be a good idea to freshen things up. Or maybe after the long trip (definitely before if possible if the records don't show any service

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=52950

non-mobile link
https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...4-0l-v6-52950/

Last edited by ghengis86; 12-19-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:21 PM
Mudding

I wouldn't go near a remote starter on a LR3. Too afraid of upsetting the apple cart. For tires I am running winter: 255/55-19 Toyo Open Country G-02s. They are much stiicker in the nasty stuff than the Pirelli Ice and Snow I replaced them with. The sidewalls are stiff and they have a H rating so they aren't marshmellows like the Blizzacks on my Ridgeline. I would go Toyo again, but they are pricey.

There is a forum member (TLT?) who sells remanufactured diffs so look there instead of blindly handing money to a dealer.

Lastly I would get a block heater for sure. I don't have one but I park in my garage and live in Calgary so a block heater is a once or twice a season thing. In Sask...almost daily at times. Your HSE may have a block heater installed already, just no cord. There was a crazy episode when the cords were not CSA approved so LR left them off. Check anyhow.

Good luck.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:37 PM
Mudding

Folks, many thanks for the posts. The workshop manual will be a real bonus - thanks. The details on the diff and other maintenance is greatly appreciated, as is the little gem on the breather for the front diff - I still have the original breather, so one to be done too. As for the Block heater, I'll have a look in the daytime to see if the heater is fitted, but so far have not seen any cables in the engine bay.

My problem is I have only limited time to get any diff replaced, so may have to stump up for the stealership even the recon price, but will have a look on the forum for anyone selling recon units - if required - will see tomorrow.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry for hijack but how are you guys opening the RAR file for the workshop manual download? Maybe it's my computer but nothing will open it. Thanks

Old 12-19-2012, 10:27 PM
Mudding

I've not yet as I have a mac and need to find a way to uncompress it via a third part app. What I can say is if this is half as good as the RAVE manual I had for my RR, it will save a lot of frustration and time.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:06 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Eniam17
sorry for hijack but how are you guys opening the RAR file for the workshop manual download? Maybe it's my computer but nothing will open it. Thanks
Google "Free RAR extractor". I think WinRAR is what I used. Maybe a CNET download, can't remember. Once you download the RAR file, use the WinRAR or equivalent extractor to extract (like unzipping ZIP files). Just another compression format.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:46 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great, thanks. And I apologize to the OP for the hijack. I want to get a RAVE as well just havent found it anywhere

Quick Reply: Fisrt LR3 with a drive across Canada