LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fix it or move on?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 02:37 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix it or move on?

So I got some bad news from the mechanic when I brought in my beloved 2005 LR3 for a recent oil change. The jerky transmission (for about the past 6 months) will need to be replaced. Between the transmission and the currently failed fuel sender unit replacement, it will be a $7500 bill or so. I am torn. I think the truck is in good shape for a 13 yo vehicle and 165,000 miles. We have been pretty good with service and maintenance and taking good care of the truck; we took it on occasional off-road adventures on fire trails in the desert but nothing hardcore. However, the repair bill is almost double what the car is worth. I am wondering if my affection for the truck is not the wisest approach at this point . I am concerned whether the engine will last to 250k miles and also what other major $ issues that may be lurking ahead for the next 5 years. I never thought we would keep the LR3 this long considered how unreliable it could be as a brand. And now I want to keep it longer.
I would like to get some input from those owners who have had extensive experience with LR and if it will be feasible for me to keep it longer. Thanks.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I purchased my 2006 new, with 152K on it now. A major repair such as the transmission replacement exceeds the value as you alluded to, however, your LR3 is worth scrap metal and nothing else at this point. Can you find something to replace it with that will fit the bill? I'm still happy with mine, and will happily pay the price to replace anything major if needed. Mine looks brand new, and other than what I consider minor, nothing more expensive compared to Mercedes for example. If your asking to justify a Land Rover vs. a Toyota or what not, then you shouldn't own a Rover. My inlaws allegedly ultra reliable Hyundai is on it second transmission in less than one year, and their Lexus has spent more time at the dealership than my Rover on a mile basis.

Only you can know if a 2005 is worth it to fix. If you have beat the tar out of it and looks like something cousin Eddie would be driving, than probably time to part ways. If you have taken incredible care of it like I have, and despite resale value or scrap, then it might be worth fixing.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Didn't we have this same discussion on another thread?

This comes down to what the Rover is worth TO YOU. If you just need an AWD people-hauler then sure, see what you can get out of it and get yourself something suitable for that mission. If you need something that is everything the LR3 is....then fix it and keep it because it has no equal.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Didn't we have this same discussion on another thread?

This comes down to what the Rover is worth TO YOU. If you just need an AWD people-hauler then sure, see what you can get out of it and get yourself something suitable for that mission. If you need something that is everything the LR3 is....then fix it and keep it because it has no equal.
You, me, and few others did, but OP is new. Lets give him/her the opportunity to not sink on the first dive into the deep end.

OP, unlike some other forums, this is a pretty friendly crowd with good info.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Ah! Just figured it out....the OP posted the same post on the LandRoverWorld forum...that's why it sounded so familiar.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:44 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought my 07 LR3 HSE rover and within 3 months I spent $7200 at the dealer to have the heads milled cause the PO had driven it overheated and warped them. Could not tell this on pre-purchase inspection or on short drives around town. It was worth it to me to keep the Rover, so each person has to make the decision. Bought it with 113K on it and now have 138K and after the work it runs like a new vehicle with no overheating issues and it has been on some long trips.
Of course there were a few items that had to be replaced for wear and time on road but they were not significant to me as a preowned vehicle will always have issues.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:28 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

A rebuilt trans at our shop is in the $4-5k range installed. You could also source a low mileage usedfor $2k, $1k to install.

I think you will be hard pressed to find a vehicle for $6-7k that is as nice as your 3.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

Fist of all, shop around. $7,500 seems dang steep. I believe a new OEM fuel sending unit is about $150? This is a task most people can do at home or have a less expensive shop do it for you. At the very least, getting this done helps the resale value vastly improve so if you can DIY with inexpensive parts, it may be worth the payoff for a turn and burn. A vehicle with one issue is worth more than multiple issues.

Transmission is another game all tougher. Used ones are a gamble, no doubt. But can be had for $1,500 or less. I do my own engine/transmission swaps so I cam not certain on labor costs. But my point is that adding the above up, in parts, comes to about $2,000 at best (factoring in fluids and other bits that come up on install). So you may want to consider taking it in some place else for a second opinion. I've heard that shops that specifically do transmissions can be rather economical on both sourcing a transmission and install labor. With that said, its still worth getting it looked at by a second set of eyes. Maybe the transmission does not need replacement. Could possible get away with a rebuilt valve body and fresh fluid.

With a second quote in hand, only then I would decide if its worth it or not. I know for myself, the LR3 has been an amazing machine and with the work going into it I will be upside down on value. But I am okay with that.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:58 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts
Old 11-17-2018, 10:08 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Depends on what sending unit is bad.

Unit A/1 is the front one and the most expensive as in most cases you need to replace the whole tank.

Unit B/2 is the rear and is accessible at the fuel pump opening.

Quick Reply: Fix it or move on?