LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fourth week second problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 09:58 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default fourth week second problem

Well my stomach dropped when I went out to move the LR3 around to the car port as the engine wouldn't turn over and "TRANSMISSION FAULT" was displayed on the dash.

I didn't even want to tell her. But she took it better than I did. Now she is saying she wants to give it up. We love this truck and I have been thinking about getting another one!

OK so, I guess I'm going to unhook the battery and hook it back up to see if that does anything. If you guys know something I don't, I would sure appreciate hearing what it might be.
Thanks

Old 03-20-2016, 10:48 PM
Mudding

40 minutes later update:
Went back out, the LR did the same thing. I then waited maybe thirty seconds while pushing buttons and what not, the TRANSMISSION FAULT message went away and it did two slow rotations before spinning off and starting. Drove around the block and parked it with no problems with the transmission fault coming on again upon killing the vehicle. Turned the key on, all clear, started right back up. I am guessing wire corrosion? Maybe a relay that feeds a relay that feeds another relay?

You got me.........

I just hope I'm not going to have to be constantly leaving work to rescue my wife! That would put me in the nut house.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:26 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

You ended up getting another alternator in the other thread right?

And they tested that battery, it was fine? I forget if they got you a warranty replacement or not.

Definitely battery issue (the fault messages are famous, and yeah - can be scary but it's just your car being bitchy/grumpy, don't worry about it) just gotta figure out why.

Coulda fried a few cells the other day with the first issue. How cold was it that day? These colder mornings will test the batteries way more than they would be otherwise.

These things are incredibly sensitive to voltage supply issues.

The following users liked this post:
illbuildit (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 08:41 AM
Mudding

Yes the alternator was replaced and we've had it back for two weeks now. I had the battery checked at interstate and they said it checked out fine then gave it a two day charge. Been perfect since.
I could tell by the way it started that the battery was struggling a bit. Didn't know why. Looks like I'll check the cables out later today. It's been pretty warm around here. Was probably 50 when this happened

Old 03-21-2016, 09:16 AM
Mudding

Wouldn't start again so I tested the battery. Had about 11.3 or so. Used my portable jumper and it started right up. Battery test while running shows 14.3. I'm wondering if it's possible that interstate batteries was wrong about the battery being good. I think my next move is to have O'Reillys test the battery for us. It's only two years old and no more so it SHOULD be good....

Old 03-21-2016, 09:37 AM
Mudding

Let it run for a while and the battery charged up perfectly. Now I'm afraid something is running it down. Was 32 this morning so hopefully it was just that. Fingers crossed

Old 03-21-2016, 11:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

The "battery test" while running isn't really a battery test. It's an alternator test to see what voltage the alternator is outputting. You have no real way of knowing if the battery is actually taking that charge until you measure it with the engine shut off. Even then, you're not putting a load on the battery... actual battery testers put a load on the battery to see how much the voltage drops when there is a high demand (e.g. when you're calling for power to run your starter motor).

BTW, a voltage of 11.3 indicates that the battery is literally down to 10% of its charge or less. A starting battery should never get this low (with no demands on it from the starter), so my guess would be that with everything that's happened recently, the battery needs a replacement.

illbuildit (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 11:28 AM
Mudding

That's what I meant really when I tested the charge. So I need to have a parts store test it as it's definitely not holding charge. I'm far from being and expert.
Seems I've heard that was pretty low. Ten percent.... That's crazy.
Well I'll definitely get it tested again. Interstate said the battery was just fine two weeks ago. I'm sure hoping they were wrong.
I super appreciate all the feedback

Old 03-21-2016, 12:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I recently had a 2 year old Interstate MTP-49 failed and replaced under warranty.

illbuildit (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 06:17 PM
Mudding

Went to O'Reillys and they say the battery is bad. Looks like we're going to interstate battery store and trade it out. Hopefully that's it til the next thing!

Quick Reply: fourth week second problem