LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front brake pads that work well when cold

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016 | 08:52 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Default Front brake pads that work well when cold

I need to replace the front pads and rotors on our 07' LR3 HSE. I've used ceramic pads on our old D2 and our Subaru Baja turbo and haven't been happy with them on the first stop of the day. We have a steep driveway and when backing down and you go to apply the brakes the vehicle doesn't stop very well at all. Especially in the winter. You need to apply tremendous pedal pressure to get the car to stop. Once the pads are warmed up they work fine. Is there a type of pad that will eliminate this problem?

Old 07-09-2016 | 10:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Any semi-metallic pad should work much better than a ceramic when cold. The OE Land Rover pads are semi-metallic and I believe the Textars are as well. EBC claims that their yellow pads do not require any warm up, though I don't know whether they are technically semi-metallic, ceramics, or NAOs.

Old 07-11-2016 | 03:02 PM
Camel Trophy

I've done well using OE pads and rotors for 11 years. Your results may vary; I don't tend to brake all that often. I use engine braking to the extent possible.

Old 07-11-2016 | 04:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by cmb6s
Any semi-metallic pad should work much better than a ceramic when cold. The OE Land Rover pads are semi-metallic and I believe the Textars are as well. EBC claims that their yellow pads do not require any warm up, though I don't know whether they are technically semi-metallic, ceramics, or NAOs.
I have EBC YellowStuff's on my SHO.

YellowStuff pads don't require a warm up, but they are extremely dusty.

Old 07-12-2016 | 06:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle

The OEM Ferodos should be fine. Textars are good in cold and cheap, but they still dust like crazy.

Old 07-12-2016 | 05:45 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Anyone ever use the POWER STOP ESK4615 kit from rockauto?

Old 07-12-2016 | 11:57 PM
Rock Crawling

I recently put a set of EBC green stuff 7000-series pads on the front of my truck and they're awful. Not bad for the first 500 miles or so, but now they squeal like crazy as soon as they get a little warm. I wanted something that would handle heat a little better than stock since I'm heavier than stock plus have heavy tires so increased rolling inertia, but these don't seem to be any better than stock despite how they are advertised. I've had good luck with EBC in the past, so maybe this is a fluke but with about 1000 miles on them I'm ready to replace them already.

Oh, and the were completely smoked (literally) coming down Old Priest Grade even though the truck was in 2nd the whole way down. Despite attempting to protect them I was almost unable to stop at the bottom of the hill. Not. Good.

Old 07-13-2016 | 09:14 AM
Baja

I had EBC green stuff on my D2 and completely smoked them going down a switchback road coming down a mountain. I was sure that it was pilot error as they have such a good rep.

So, got a set all around on my 3, and like you am not happy. Although the stopping power is a little better than my wife's $25 WBR semi metallic pads( I also have drilled and slotted rotors) they squeal after they are warm.

Old 07-13-2016 | 09:35 AM
Rock Crawling

FWIW I just ordered a set of Hawk LTS pads for the front of the LR3. We'll see how they do. I had decent luck with Hawk pads many moons ago when I was racing an Alfa GTV6 that was really hard on it's rears since they were inboard and had poor ventilation.

The LTS (light truck/SUV) is a street compound designed around 1/2 ton trucks that haul/tow. It's listed as 'fero carbon' material, so not ceramic. Take that marketing hype for what you will.

Old 07-13-2016 | 10:21 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Zelatore
FWIW I just ordered a set of Hawk LTS pads for the front of the LR3. We'll see how they do. I had decent luck with Hawk pads many moons ago when I was racing an Alfa GTV6 that was really hard on it's rears since they were inboard and had poor ventilation.

The LTS (light truck/SUV) is a street compound designed around 1/2 ton trucks that haul/tow. It's listed as 'fero carbon' material, so not ceramic. Take that marketing hype for what you will.
Interested in seeing how the Hawks work out for you.... the ceramics I got are low speed squealing. I have to disassemble and treat with paste to see if it goes away... if not, I'll be looking back here to see your experience.

Quick Reply: Front brake pads that work well when cold