LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 10:42 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front end noise

Hello all, I have had my truck serviced at Land rover including a new rear diff, tranny fluid change, front diff oil change and new fuel level floats. Left front wheel bearing and both control arms have been replaced. I am hearing the weirdest faint noise from the front end and I will do my best to explain it:

When I accelerate slowly I hear a faint lifter like sound from front end. It took a while test driving but I figured out that the noise is rotational with wheels and not the engine. So at this point I drove it in manual shift in gear 6 and accelerate between 50 and 60 and you can really hear the "whir whir whir" as it accelerates (similar sound to a fresh rotated tire that started to wear out of balance or a very light lifter type sound) and no matter if you swerve the truck, apply brake the noise does not change unless you stop accelerating. At a stop you can turn the truck in tight circles and the diffs are silent.
The noise is only noticeable with all equipment off (fans off, radio off windows up) and noise increases in speed with wheels. But not loud, you could downshift and engine is louder.

Now the only thing wrong with the truck that I know is that the rear passenger wheel sensor is hanging, I guess it broke off, I turned off dsc to see if noise goes away but no difference.

Can anyone relate to this issue?
Could wheel bearing do this or would it be noisy throughout accel and decel and coasting?
CV axle boot is clean and dry.
No leaking fluid

I would record but I dont think a mic would hear it over engine. Thank you!

Old 12-29-2014, 09:10 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Pad rubbing on rotor?, a cv usually loud clicking or knocking while turning, try rotationg tires? If its to quiet record you may need to wait till its worse

Old 01-04-2015, 09:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

...could still be the front diff, too. Need to get some chassis ears on it.