LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front suspension clunk when dropping off curb or into a pot hole

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 08:18 AM
Winching
Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Front suspension clunk when dropping off curb or into a pot hole

2006 North American LR3

I have a clunk I can not figure out how to fix coming from the front suspension.

The clunk is when driving slowly and the driving surface lowers for example the wheel goes into a pot hole at about 5mph.

Does not show up when driving at normal conditions and does not show up when going over a speed bump at a slow speed. Only shows up with the tire drops onto a lower surface.

Backstory is I replaced the front differential. While doing so to pull the axels the top ***** needed to be replaced. Boots torn and hex attachment stripped out. I did not take the entire knuckle off and did not loosen the bottom ball joint. I replace the entire upper control arm and did the sway bar links at the same time since they are inexpensive.

I've gone back and re-torqued all the bolts but can's seem to find anything. The tie rods were replace at the same time also due to the inner hex was stripped out.

Reading past threads.....steering is fine so I don't think it as anything to do with steering and the air suspension is working fine, before I replace the differential the clunk was not there so I tend to think it is:

Bolts attaching the upper control arm
Upper ball joint
Sway bar links

Any thoughts are appreciated

Thanks

Old 07-22-2022, 10:38 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Sounds like you have ruled out the lower control arm bushings with your speed bump check. Here is a stupid but necessary question: when you did the swaybar end links, did you also replace the bushings? I know that they are separate parts. When mine were done we ordered new links, bushings and fasteners too.

Old 07-22-2022, 10:42 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

most likely lower control arm bushings.
well-documented (and discussed) issue with LR3/4.

Old 07-22-2022, 08:13 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 777 Likes on 651 Posts

I had a sway bar link fail out of box. So yes, they can be cheap but cheap can fail. Mine were AC Delco, never again.

Old 07-23-2022, 09:21 AM
Winching
Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts

Douglastic was correct.

Two things were throwing me off.
1. Could not verify until I lifted it up and used a crowbar to check the rear bushings. They would not move with the tires on the ground.
2. I still don't understand why I did not have the clunk until after I replaced the upper control arm. My only guess is the geometry changed slightly.

I have a new question.

I'm running 2" lift rods.

I plan to remove the entire knuckle. When resetting the upper ball joint. Should I keep the measurement of 18.75 inches from the center of the axle to the trim of the wheel arch or add 2 inches so the measurement would be 20.75?

Thanks,

The following users liked this post:
douglastic (07-26-2022)