LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front suspension no pressure after spring change

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 10:13 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front suspension no pressure after spring change

Hello,
I have a 2006 LR3 SE V8. I just replaced a leaking right front air spring. After reassembly, I am getting no air pressure to either of the front air springs. I did a hard reset, and after starting the vehicle, The compressor runs for a few seconds, but no pressure is getting to the front end. Back end is normal. I've shut off the vehicle, restarted many times, no compressor activates unless I hard reset, but still no pressure to the front, no suspension raising in the front.
The vehicle has lift rods from British Outfitters 4X4 and 275/65/R18 Cooper Discovery RTX tires.
Thank you for your help,
Eric

Last edited by Trollhunter; 09-10-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:52 PM
3rd Gear

Okay, at the suggestion of the service center at Chantilly, VA LR, I drove it a bit up the road and it filled the front springs, but the front right one, the one I just replaced, had a loud hissing and bled the air right out. It pumped up again, slower bleed off. Every time it pumps up, it slowly bleeds off, but each time is taking longer to do this. I'm wondering if all those O-rings when I installed the new spring, are taking time to re seal. Hopefully they will seal completely after a few more cycles of pressurizing and sitting idle.
It's still much better than with the old spring, as it was hissing and bleeding off within a few minutes.

Eric

Old 09-11-2016, 07:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

When you say you replaced the air spring, do you mean that you actually just replaced the air spring portion or did you replace the entire strut?

Old 09-11-2016, 09:25 PM
3rd Gear

That is correct. Just the air spring, used the existing shock. I purchased the air spring from Miessler Automotive, they specialize in air suspension parts for a lot of vehicles. Today, when I hit a pothole or decent bump in the road, I hear a loud hiss and the spring bleeds out, re seals then airs back up, only to slowly leak out again.
Tomorrow, I'm going to call the company and see if they can give me any advise how to seal this thing. Hopefully it's not defective.

Eric

Old 09-11-2016, 10:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Wish I could provide some help, but I'll be very interested to hear what the problem is once you figure it out. I just picked up a set of used front struts and disassembled one to clean it up and refurbish it. However, I actually can't get it back together right now... there has to be some sort of a trick to holding the air spring while I insert the shock. Maybe I have to actually pressurize it...

Anyway, you may want to try the ol' soapy water trick to see if you can at least identify where the leak is coming from. If you think that the o-rings perhaps haven't set properly, then I wouldn't think they're coming from the top o-rings, but rather from the large o-rings around the shock itself. Did you replace the voss connector when you put the new spring on or did you just unscrew the old one and screw it into the new spring? If the later, then I believe there is a rubber o-ring on the voss connector, though I could check to verify. Make sure you didn't lose or forget that when reassembling.