LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Give me some good news. Coolant Resevoir paranormal activity My coolant was bubbling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 06:41 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Give me some good news. Coolant Resevoir paranormal activity My coolant was bubbling.

Unfortunately, I think I Already know the answer, but I wanted to take to the forum to get an official consensus. Approximately 4000 miles ago I had my vehicle taken to the shop for an over heat Situation. I specifically asked the mechanic to make sure that the engine was in good working shape before any repairs were done. He assured me that it was. He then proceeded to replace quite a bit. When I say quite a bit, I mean the following; water pump, fan, thermostat, thermostat housing, radiator. Fast forward till today, I realize that my air conditioner is not blowing cold. I want to check my coolant, and although it does not seem low, I realize in this process that My coolant was bubbling. After some research the consensus seems to be that is a symptom of a head gasket issue. Is that a definitive answer? Are there any other potential causes of coolant bubbling In the reservoir? For what it’s worth, the engine sounds fine and I’m not overheating.

I have 212k on her. Thank you for your help.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:12 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mirepoixmatt
Unfortunately, I think I Already know the answer, but I wanted to take to the forum to get an official consensus. Approximately 4000 miles ago I had my vehicle taken to the shop for an over heat Situation. I specifically asked the mechanic to make sure that the engine was in good working shape before any repairs were done. He assured me that it was. He then proceeded to replace quite a bit. When I say quite a bit, I mean the following; water pump, fan, thermostat, thermostat housing, radiator. Fast forward till today, I realize that my air conditioner is not blowing cold. I want to check my coolant, and although it does not seem low, I realize in this process that My coolant was bubbling. After some research the consensus seems to be that is a symptom of a head gasket issue. Is that a definitive answer? Are there any other potential causes of coolant bubbling In the reservoir? For what it’s worth, the engine sounds fine and I’m not overheating.

I have 212k on her. Thank you for your help.
There is a tester and some test fluid that you can use that will confirm if you are getting exhaust gasses in your cooling system. It is a pretty simple test, and one you dont want to pass.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:40 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

If you aren’t misfiring at all, possible that you have Air trapped in the system from mechanic not properly bleeding the system.

The definitive test is a leak down test.

Those sniffer tests are not always conclusive.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:23 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just to follow up here - this will be anticlimactic: He simply said he doesn't detect anything with his tool. He said i was overfilled (which i was cause i was getting the low coolant light, and decided to put more in even though it appeared i was topped off - likely the result of a bad coolant level sensor).

My AC issue is not resolved, however, but will post separately after i research first.

Thanks, Gents.