LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding on Rear Left side only when turning right

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 09:58 AM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grinding on Rear Left side only when turning right

Hey All, have a fun one started with my D3, when turning sharply to the right i have a grinding metal sound like pads on the rear right only. I have pulled the wheel off and checked if anything appear loose but couldn't see anything or any backing plates etc with damage or hitting. wheel back on a road tested and noted the same again, if you take a round about to the right you can hear it.

i did not the left rear drum/disc felt a lot hotter than the right? ill try the brake bible and adjust the shoes for the EPB but was wondering if anyone has encountered anything like it. Maybe a spring retainer broken or loose in the rear Park brakes and allowing the shoe to hit the drum with centrifugal force when cornering ? I need to get a 15mm 12point socket yet to be able to remove the callipers to get the disc off to check. any leads would be great.

Attached Files
File Type: mp3
LR3 Scraping.mp3 (548.5 KB, 98 views)
Old 04-20-2019, 12:13 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 711 Likes on 599 Posts

That almost sounds like the parking brake trying to adjust. Is it REALLY loud? The system is active at all times, even when not in use, as it has sensors that monitor the cable tension. For a quick test you can pull the EPB fuse then manually disengage it to be certain its backed off. The EPB is not super good at reporting issues, so you can have problems without a warning light. Assuming the EPB system is not an issue I second your thought on checking the parking brake pads themselves but I am leaning towards a rear wheel bearing. Did you check for any play when you had the wheel up?

The following users liked this post:
Blumr2 (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 02:10 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Agreed. sounds like a disc hitting a dust shield to me. Lift the rear axle till tire is just off the ground. use a pry bar and try to lift the wheel. then try to push/pull the wheel right to left. if it wobbles from side to side, its a bearing. if it moves up and down with a clunk, could still be a bearing but it will most likely be a bushing.

Blumr2 (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 06:19 PM
7th Gear

Its not really loud and a definite metals scraping like pad wear indicators but they have loads of meat, ill try the idea of the cable tension, i have a code tester so can put it into the service or disengaged mode and then pull the fuse and quick drive.. my thought a parking brake shoe hitting the drum, as if one of the retainers had come off allowing it to move sideways ! again won't know till i take it off and need a trip to the auto shop for a set of 12 point sockets !!

Old 04-20-2019, 06:21 PM
7th Gear

Ta, i tried the dust shield and its clear, even removed the one off the prop shaft to make sure it wasn't as well, wheel bag seems good and no wobble. im leaning towards something loose inside the park brake drum. time for a deeper explore and more tools.

Old 04-21-2019, 03:32 AM
7th Gear

SOLVED - Wheel Bearing with over an inch outer movement at the tyre by the time we got it jacked up..
Worst I've seen in a long time.

Pavilion (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 11:13 AM
Drifting

Glad to hear it! Now all ya gotta do is change it and good as new. Better do the other side while your at it. if that one is tired so is the other one

Old 04-21-2019, 01:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 711 Likes on 599 Posts

Agreed, do both sides.

And this is the rear, correct? If so have you done rears before or will you have a shop do the work? They are nothing like the fronts as you must press out/in parts. Its not a complete assembly that bolts on unfortunately. For anyone interested, here is a video I found that came in handy for DIY people with limited shop equipment.

He did have to manufacture a "U" shaped tool for aiding in pressing. As for the press kit, you can get them on Amazon for about $120. The press kit would be handy to have for any bushings you also decide to replace. You may be able to rent this kit from an auto parts store.

Old 04-21-2019, 03:41 PM
Drifting

Nice one! No I havent done the rears in a disco before so its really nice to see your vid! thanks for the heads up. I work in a shop that handles all makes so yes I would end up doing it myself but we dont see many if any at all Landrovers except mine of course. Most around here is jeep and scoobies. and everything is rotten so forget following book time lol.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

I’ve done one rear and found I have another to do today.

Tear down is straight forward if its not rusted about 35 minutes to blast it all apart. The parking brake is a bit of a pain in the ****. Once it was torn down I took the hub and new bearing to a machine shop and let them deal with that part. Pick it up a couple hours later and pop it back together. Easy money

Quick Reply: Grinding on Rear Left side only when turning right