LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gut Check on one corner EAS Droop?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2023, 01:29 PM
Mudding
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Gut Check on one corner EAS Droop?

Hey all -

Front driver side shock is dropping all the way down overnight, other corners are totally fine. Did the auto-level whole fuse remove and measure process. The front passenger shock was fully replaced just before I bought it and it's showing no issue or droppage. I sprayed soapy water on the offending shock but didn't see any bubbles - although I'm not 100% trustworthy that that completely confirms there isn't a leak.

So if it's just dropping on that one corner only, is that definitive enough to maybe likely be the actual shock itself needing replaced, or is it just as likely an issue with the valve block? FWIW it's got 107k miles and 3 of 4 original shocks.

I've actually already ordered the o-ring rebuild kit from Atlantic British as a project to do anyhow, but I have to arrange to work out of a buddy's garage for stuff like that that I have street parking only and it's too damn cold for street projects right now.... so I just wanted to check in to see if doing a new shock vs. valve block rebuild gut check from all the knowledgeable folks here, as a more direct fix for the sag.

Old 12-11-2023, 04:49 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Valve block leaking normally lowers both sides.

start car, raise to off road height, once it’s all the way up, shut off and put your ear close to the offending corner. At Offroad height you should hear the bag hissing.

The following users liked this post:
KH406 (12-17-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 07:02 PM
Mudding

Yeah the one side vs. both was something I was curious about as a potential tell that it is more likely the shock than the valve block.

Thanks, much appreciated.

abran (12-12-2023)
Old 12-12-2023, 10:40 AM
Mudding
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Doesn't the front block have separate lines to the front wheels? I thought I had seen at least one occurrence of one side dropping from the feed to one side from the block. Just a thought and question

abran (12-12-2023)
Old 12-12-2023, 12:54 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by johnsonmc2000
Doesn't the front block have separate lines to the front wheels? I thought I had seen at least one occurrence of one side dropping from the feed to one side from the block. Just a thought and question
it does, I’m coming from the “normally” stand point as I usually see both corners drop when the block is leaking.

Also the other side was replaced due to a leak I’m guessing, so all signs point to the bag. That’s why I asked him to test it by putting an off-road height, shutting the car down and seeing if he can hear a hiss from that corner.

Last edited by abran; 12-12-2023 at 12:58 PM.
johnsonmc2000 (12-14-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 08:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 715 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
Valve block leaking normally lowers both sides.

I hate to disagree, but I can certainly speak from experience that this is not always the case. I had issues with a corner dropping and it was always the valve block. Until, finally, one day I ended with a leak in a strut. But before that it was alway evil white stuff on the valve block causing a leak and one side (or both) to drop.

KH406 (12-17-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 09:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 211 Likes on 185 Posts

They should have replaced both front struts instead of just the one.

Old 12-14-2023, 07:43 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
I hate to disagree, but I can certainly speak from experience that this is not always the case. I had issues with a corner dropping and it was always the valve block. Until, finally, one day I ended with a leak in a strut. But before that it was alway evil white stuff on the valve block causing a leak and one side (or both) to drop.
all good, I’ve never seen a valve block leak externally, they seem to leak into the galley for me.

Old 12-15-2023, 09:02 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 715 Likes on 601 Posts

The can leak externally, it happens. I have never had it happen. But even if leaking internally you can get just one corner to deflate. The issues is often just the white desiccant powder on the o-rings of one side.

Old 12-16-2023, 12:11 PM
Mudding

This was what I was coming to the forums for - to basically see if, based on the existing scenario, there was or was not a way to narrow down which culprit it might be. If it can go down independently based on the valve block, then I'll probably do the DIY seal replacement and hope that fixes it before going to the expense of replacing the shock. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Gut Check on one corner EAS Droop?