LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HDC, suspension fault, 4x4 screen is incorrect

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 12:26 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HDC, suspension fault, 4x4 screen is incorrect

I have a 2006 LR3 and am receiving the HDC fault, and suspension fault, without any of the other codes. Also, when turning, the 4x4 screen shows the wheels turning left, regardless of whether I am driving straight, turning left, or turning right. On a hard right turn the ABS will occasionally start firing, but only when starting from a stop, while turning, and ABS stops after the truck is straightened out (it almost acts as if the HDC starts to activate, but HDC is turned off).

Since it hadn't been changed, i went ahead and changed the brake light sensor with no luck. I also checked the battery, which is less than a year old, and the voltage is within range. I haven't replaced the brake light bulbs, but they are all working, have vertical filaments, and have been installed for over a year without a problem occurring.

I had the issue with the sunroof drain plugs clogging, thus allowing water into both the driver and passenger foot wells. They have been fixed and the wells dried. The bundles of wires that run on the floor board sat in water for a period of time, but after visual inspection i have not been able to identify a loose or corroded wire.

I also note that the air suspension works and I have pulled the F26 fuse to allow the truck to stay at normal height.

What is different from my situation to all the others i have researched is the 4x4 screen showing the front wheels turning the wrong direction...any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:13 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Check out the wheel angle sensors....can result in those symptoms. Not sure if an IIDTool can re-calibrate, I think it can.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:17 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Check out the wheel angle sensors....can result in those symptoms. Not sure if an IIDTool can re-calibrate, I think it can.
thanks, that was on my list, im not sure how to check them. I was also thinking a wheel speed sensor, but I’m not getting an abs light and the turned wheel on the 4x4 screen seems like should be indicative of something specific.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:24 PM
Camel Trophy

I was thinking wheel angle because of the weird 4x4 screen indication.

I've had this happen...symptoms as you describe. When you are driving straight, is your steering wheel clocked a little?

Old 02-19-2018, 02:30 PM
7th Gear

When driving straight the wheel is straight, which is why the angle sensor doesn’t seem like the problem.

The other issue, that I assume is related because they occurred at the same time and forgot to mention In the original post, is the transmission is not shifting at the correct RPMs, however, command shift works with no issues.

Thanks again for the response.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:28 PM
Camel Trophy

Hmmmm....how far off are the RPMs when shifting? All gears?

Old 02-20-2018, 02:56 PM
7th Gear

Off by about 1500 to 2000 RPMs For every gear

Old 02-20-2018, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

What code tool are you using?

Old 02-20-2018, 03:01 PM
7th Gear

I tried a generic code reader and it didn’t pull anything, haven’t used anything more specific.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

That likely will not pull the codes from the ecms that control the steering angle sensor and other systems that might be the culprit for these issues.

Quick Reply: HDC, suspension fault, 4x4 screen is incorrect