LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights are auto-leveling in a bad way...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 11:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Headlights are auto-leveling in a bad way...

At least I THINK this is what is occurring.
06 SE model.

Sometimes the low beam is insanely low, with a very sharp cut-off. I can only see less then 20ft in front of the vehicle, probably closer to 15ft. However, sometimes I'll flip the high beams on and off and suddenly the low beam mode fixes itself and is fine. The sharp cut-off still exists but the light seems to be allowed to bleed up higher and illuminate the road as needed in a very natural way. It's really quite dangerous when the light doesn't bleed up higher, I end up having to run high beams or it's absolutely pitch black past 15-20ft ahead regardless of speed.

I understand some models have some adaptive headlights, maybe that's a culprit?

Old 08-13-2020, 12:44 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

You need to check the connections, especially if it is fitted with the adaptive lights. Then check that your suspension is not thinking there is a load in the rear and raising up.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 720 Likes on 605 Posts

The adaptive headlights use inputs from the steering angle sensor and the suspension system. Since what you describe what seems like both headlights doing the same, there must be a more common point of error. My first guess is the control module for the headlights. Then as Globe said, it could be a suspension input problem - of course you should then have suspension issues also.

You may be able to repeat the issue in the driveway. Upon startup, the headlights always self-calibrate even when they are not on. Its a startup procedure, not a headlamp-on thing. But check the lamp position and have someone start the vehicle. See if they calibrate and go back to where they were. If not, have them try the high-beam trick.

Also I think adaptive lighting may have its own fuse, so you may be able to pull that and see how things work. I know one can move them by hand easily, so I have a feeling they *might* not stay put when driving over rough stuff.

Old 08-14-2020, 09:49 AM
Rock Crawling

Very good info, much appreciated.

My steering wheel is misaligned slightly.
My suspension functions perfectly.

I'll start fiddling passively and see what further info I can come up with on how they are and are not functioning.

Many thanks,
-Greg

Old 08-14-2020, 10:00 AM
Camel Trophy

The steering angle should not be a huge issue in this case. But depending how out of align it is, its known to cause issues in other place if you are driving straight and the sensor itself is not close to zero - even if the physically the wheel is not. You would have to have sensor data to check that.

Old 08-19-2020, 10:29 PM
Rock Crawling

So I tried a few tricks and I've not been able to pinpoint it. The startup dance doesn't seem to occur either.

Sometimes the lights are fine, sometimes not, there's no real pattern to what moments or for how long they function correctly yet.

Holding the high beam on for 10 seconds or longer and then releasing, fixes the problem for a few seconds or up to a full minute but usually closer to 5-15 seconds. Sometimes it'll fix it for an hour though. Then it'll return to the sharp cut-off light and I can only see just ahead of the vehicle again. Very strange. I'll play with this some more tomorrow. Maybe I'm not the first to see this issue.

Old 08-19-2020, 10:34 PM
Camel Trophy

No startup dance means you don't have adaptive lights, so no auto leveling. And if no startup dance with a vehicle equip, then you would get an icon to light on the cluster for the system.

The following users liked this post:
houm_wa (08-20-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 05:57 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

any progress in solving the headlight issue. I have the same....

Old 12-12-2020, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,485 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Friend with an 06 sport, his would not do the startup dance, and would just drop to the 15' mark for light. No warnings on the dash for the adaptive lights. Checked wiring codes etc ended up needing two new light assemblies. Problem gone after replacement.