LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heavy Duty Package REAR LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heavy Duty Package REAR LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL

OK I am crazy looking for info on this subject. This is what I found. Dealers offer the Heavy Duty PAckage which comes with full size spare alloy wheel and tire and the rear locking differential. If you are serious about off roading, is a must.

Now, My dealer in PR does not know **** about it. I went to the parts manager and he gave me the parts number for the items. I saw the diagrams And I deduce that the stock differential has a slot and plate to install on top of it a selenoid or motor that activates the lock. The question that no one could not answered is if I buy the motor, the lock will operate. Does my LR3 comes equipped with the harnesses, software, etc to operate the lock? These are the numbers.

TVK500200 about $916.17 lock motor
TVK500290 differential assembly with lock
TVK500260 differential assembly w/out lock.

PLEASE HELP. I WANT THE REAR LOCK!!!

Old 04-11-2008, 01:21 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Heavy Duty Package REAR LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL

I hear you, and I would be totally pissed to no end if I didn't have rear lockers in mine. I'd probably be seriously looking at trading or buying the parts like you. The dealers are so fast to try selling you the non HD LR3 saying that you will probably never need it. And if you fall in the 66% who never go off roading, they'd be correct. But I have seen time after time having several LR3's out off roading at the same time for side by side comparison, just how noticeable the difference is between those that have it and those that don't. Especially during heavy articulation, rear lockers rule, period.

I wish you luck on your endeavour of adding the rear lockers, if it's even possible which I do not know. If you off road frequently, you will fall in love with the LR3 all anew after you get it modified.

I'm gonna step out on a limb here and probably make a few Disco hard core owners mad with what I'm about to say but I'll say it anyway. I can see it now, this will probably start a new post with the title WE HATE JANTIZ [:@]:

I believe a stock LR3 with rear lockers and the right tires will even out perform a moderately modified Disco in everythingEXCEPT where ground clearance comes into play which is where the LR3 takes a big hit. Heavy modified Discos are monsters, I'm not touching that one [sm=hail.gif].

Old 04-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i called my dealer and he told ne i would have to change out all kinks off stuff and i would have like 3k in parts alone. but that is as far as i got if you figure it out let us know all about it.
some of the deallers are not that sharp and some are good.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is probably a good question to post at LRR (Land Rover Repair) forum. The guys who moderate are the owners of Cerrone's European. If it is possible, they'd know how and how much.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jantit good call

Old 04-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Three Wheeling

Instead of spending 3K+ with the dealer or someone else to get it installed. Why dont you take the 3K and go buy an LR3 that has what you want on it?? There are a s***load of LR3's new and used out there right now.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-13-2008, 09:02 PM
4wd Low

Let me know what you find out on this rear locker...I am VERY interested (unless it is $3K...). It is a real disappointment to me that I can't fit ARB's or any other aftermarket kit to the axles. When I bought mine, I always had that in the back of my mind...skip the factory locker and get something serious...well, you all know what happened when I researched it more!

Two things I wish my LR3 had the most...7-way power seats...and a rear locker! (and front too!).

Old 04-15-2008, 03:26 PM
8th Gear

I would be interested too. WhenI got my 06, I did not know it was an option. I thought that was standard on all Land Rovers? If not, it should be with the reputation they have, it shouldn't even be a question.