LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heavy Duty Package

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 04:24 PM
Mudding
Received 119 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Heavy Duty Package

My last post didn't get much response but I thought I would try again. I can't imagine having a an off-road vehicle without a full size spare. The locking rear diff seems like a no-brainer for the price. Yet my local dealer has very few LR4's with the Heavy Duty package. Am I missing something? Do these cars not need the locking rear diff? Do they never get flats? Does anyone know why these are options, and not very popular ones apparently?

Old 01-26-2011, 04:59 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the past, Land Rover has always made a vehicle that the "masses" could afford. In the 90's, that was the Discovery and Discovery II models. When they introduced the LR3, it had substantially updated and upgraded suspension and off-road systems and a much higher price tag as well. Initially Land Rover offered the LR3 with few options and a Ford Explorer V6 engine that did not shed a great light on Rover. It could barely get out of its own way. They have since dropped some of the options that make a Rover less expensive, and have now moved it decidedly upscale with the launch of the LR4. True off-roaders probably wouldn't consider a Rover without this "Heavy Duty" package, but it does still offer a less expensive Rover for soccer moms who won't ever drift off the highway to really see what the Land Rover can do off-road.

Land Rover dealerships tend to keep in stock what is more popular for their market as they are an expensive item to inventory and the limited number of new models available from England. There must be a lot of soccer moms in your neighborhood :-)

Old 01-29-2011, 12:14 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

They dont carry many with the HD package because soccer moms never leave the road.
Who needs a full size spare when you have AAA? It just adds weight.
As for the locking diff...only needed if your culdesac didnt get plowed yet and you really really need a late'. (target market for more sales for better profits)

Almost 95% of SUV's sold in the US never leave the road.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:33 PM
Drifting

My advice is just to special order your LR4 with the HD Package. The turn around time on a special order is 3 months and you'll be able to have the exact set of options you want. Plus with ordering you can really get them to just over invoice on the cost as they'll get to pocket all of the "lot exepense" allocation (lot time, advertising, etc) they get from LR on each new LR that arrives on their lot.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:10 AM
Mudding
Received 119 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks guys! I think I probably will have to order one

Old 06-04-2012, 10:12 PM
Overlanding

It took nearly 16 monthes to find a LR4 with the HD package. I wanted a clean used one. After many phone calls, online photos and a five hour drive, we found one. Having the HD package is the only way to go. Not only do you get the added benefit of of a locking diff, you get an extra tire/wheel. Damage a wheel and a replacement will cost over $500. As far as "never leaving the road soccor mom", I don't know about other areas of the US, but here in the Northeast, the roads are always in a state of being repaired or in need of repair. The city roads are worse then driving through a farmers field after it was plowed.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:49 AM
Mudding

I concur, the HD package is the way to go! I wanted it specifically for the full size spare. My wife recently hit a manhole cover that was not put down properly (there was a car in the next lane and she could not avoid it). The rim alone is $800. Fortunately, the utility company paid for all the damage.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:52 AM
Mudding

Thought you might like to see the havoc a manhole cover can cause to rim and tire! Yikes!!!

Attached Thumbnails Heavy Duty Package-img_0863.jpg