LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! 06' LR3 Won't start, AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 08:39 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be very interested, can you please email it to me. Thanks

Old 02-25-2012, 01:11 PM
7th Gear
Default Battery tested OK

Ran a battery test at local AutoParts store... reported battery in great condition. So its not that

So... Cleaned earth connections, cleaned battery terminals, reramped then on...

just to be annoying the car has started perfectly all day... grrr....

will report back over the next couple of weeks and see if it re-occurs

Old 03-20-2012, 11:33 AM
7th Gear
Thumbs up still running

... just like the duracell bunny.

Boris (the LR3) has been running perfectly and starts every time since I cleaned and tightened the battery connections. Could it have been this simple?

Either way... In two weeks I'm due to drive across country (South Carolina to Nevada) so that will be the big test... to say I'm slightly nervous would be an under statement. But then again... maybe I can do the trip and never turn him off

Old 03-21-2012, 10:02 AM
7th Gear
Default Starter

My issue turned out to be starter, I ended up replacing it myself and bench tested it to confirm. It took about 2 hours to replace because of all the small pieces I had to remove out of the way but not a diffucult job.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:55 PM
2nd Gear
Default Pictures

Greg,
Iwas glad to find your post as the dealership here charges an arm, leg and first born. Could you please send me the pictures.
Thanks,
Michael

Originally Posted by Greg S
Our 2005 LR3 was having the same issue with the starter not working intermittantly. It was driving the wife crazy as the LR3 is her daily driver. This last week it started acting up again. I could get the starter to click but nothing else. After 10 or so tries it would start!
Being a do it yourself kind of guy I removed the starter to check for problems there. Bench testing gave the same results as in the vehicle. The starter gear would push up but no turning of the motor. Further investigation found the internal copper contacts heavily pitted. I removed the contacts and cleaned them up with emery cloth and reassembled. Bench tested perfectly! The LR3 starts better know than ever since we bought it used last year. I have pictures of the starter contacts before and after if anyone is interested in trying this yourself. Its nothing that any shadetree mechanic couldnt do.
Hope this helps.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:07 PM
8th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default starter problem uodate

The starter issue reared its ugly head again a month ago. It worked great for 6 months or more after sanding down the pitting on the solenoid contacts inside the housing.
I ended up just getting a replacement starter from NAPA. Cost around $163. Not a bad price. Since I was going to have to remove the starter anyway again, I figured it may last longer this time. I guess these vehicles are just hard on starters or a bad design.
I can still send the pictures if your interested.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:27 PM
2nd Gear

Have a 2005 LR3 with the same issues. Works great except for the starter issue every now and then. Found this trick that has helped quite a few times. Maybe can help you until you can get it checked out but I haven't had to take mine to the Dealer. Take a deep breath and don't panic. I've changed the battery, not the problem. I've checked the keys, not the problem. I've checked the starter, not the problem. Try turning the key quickly more than a few times to get the solenoid to turn. You'll hear that it can start. Give it a rest a few minutes in between if it doesn't start up right away. After a few tries, I get it to start and it only happens every now and then. I suggest doing what Greg S as done and getting a mechanic to clean up the contacts. I hope if you have this same occurence that this may help you get your Land Rover started. Still love the vehicle and don't want to give it up.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:21 PM
8th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Since the pictures files are so large, I have included a link to my stater repair pictures for anyone that would like a visual aid on repairing your starter solenoid.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/326n9pu00...starter%20picc

Old 06-24-2012, 03:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The starter solenoid is available as a low level service repair through Land Rover.
I'm sure you could also find one for a reasonable price at a local AP store or a
Quality Rebuilder. Just throwing the idea on the table for you guys.
$163.00 for a replacement starter from NAPA is not a bad deal though.
As long as it works, it beats the pants off of having to do this job twice!

Old 06-25-2012, 09:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Seems like it was the starter.

For the past year I have been having all the problems described in the previous posts. I replaced the battery to fender negative cable even though it looked OK, inspected the second ground cable that is sort of under the engine - the block to frame one. I also confirmed that the battery was OK and was suspicious of the key fobs but have two and but the starting problem persisted when I used the second key fob.

In frustration, finally about a month ago, I changed out the starter motor and to date, all is well.

In review, there are so many systems that affect starting that something simple like a failing starter motor is about the last thing one considers. Well I did think the starter was probably the problem, but one kind of has to rule out all the other possibilities before "throwing parts" at it.

In hindsight, it sure would have been easier just to throw in a new starter a year ago. I never had to walk, but on occasion, I got to wondering.

Quick Reply: HELP! 06' LR3 Won't start, AGAIN!