LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! 06' LR3 Won't start, AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 01:49 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Y'all can add me to the list of starting problems.
It all started (No Pun Intended) last year. First start of the day and sometimes I would just hear a relay click and sometimes I would hear the starter engage but not turn. Or turn just for a milisecond. If I kept on trying it would eventually start and be fine for the rest of the day. Or even month. I replaced the Battery anyways.

Now recently the problem has started to occur more frequently. Any time i go to start the car whether it's a warm or cold start, I will get the starter engagement sound. If it does try to turn, maybe it does or maybe it doesn't, I will get the HDC fault and Transmission limited gears available warnings. Also, The letter "F" appears where the shift position indicator is.

I will keep trying to start it and it might turn for a second then stop. Almost sounding like a dead battery. Battery is fully charged !

Eventually it will start. I am thinking it is the starter. All the battery connections appear corrosion free and are clean.

When it does start, All the warning messages go away and the car runs normally.

The following users liked this post:
BruceRover (02-02-2016)
Old 06-25-2012, 08:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Same game for me.

I had exactly the same symptoms. First start of the morning was always a gamble. It seemed on cooler mornings, it would take me many tries with much clicking before the engine would turn over or almost turn over; finally after first start, then most days, it was good until next morning. Sometimes if parked all day, then it would be the same game all over in the evening. Most often I did not get any error messages, but on occasion, they do show up - usually something about Engine Reduced .....

It would never act up when near my dealer I might add.

A month ago, I finally just put a new WAI, (Wilson rebuilt), in and all seems OK now.

I kind of think the problem was the solenoid but it is easier to completely replace than fool around.

In the States, I think a WAI 19019N rebuilt, (Lester 19019), runs about $US 150.00 and here in Canada, double that at about $CDN 300.00 for the same thing, (plus core in both cases). A Canbuck is close to a real Dollar.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Mudding

I ordered a starter today. Now I need to find someone with a driveway I can work on it on. Apartment parking lots suck !

Old 06-26-2012, 09:50 AM
Pro Wrench
Default Not easy to change out.

It took my mechanic about two hours to change out the starter motor. I was impressed as it was not easy due to lack of access.

He first put the 3 on a hoist and removed the right front wheel. He then removed a small heat shield visible to the rear of the wheel well. Then thru that space and from below, working mostly blindly, he was able to remove the existing starter and install the replacement.

Land Rover says to first remove the plastic wheel arch liner which he was able to avoid doing. Without a hoist, and working on a driveway, maybe I would consider removing the wheel well liner as you could do that ahead of time and still drive your 3. It would make the job easier and reduce the access challenges.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Mudding

I replaced it today. It took me about 2 1/2 hours. I pretty much did the same as your mechanic bbyer except I used a Floor Jack.

It's a pretty easy job if you have small hands. (I don't) I had to borrow a friends kid to deal with the upper starter bolt. That is a tight squeeze !!

I did find the ground wire connection on top of the starter wasn't fully seated on. It actually pulled out of it's plastic connector. Hmmmm ! Maybe that was the actual problem.

Oh well, Once I got that far into the removal process, I just went ahead and replaced the starter and made sure the ground wire connector was fully seated and had a bit extra strain relief on that wire. The factory wiring for that wire was really tight and was probably always under tension.

Double checked my work, hooked the battery back up and the Rover fired right up !

Thx guys !

Old 06-27-2012, 08:13 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still having the ongoing intermittent starting problems with my '06 LR3 - have changed the battery, cables, starter motor and even the transmission switch on the gear changer (in the vague hope that it was due to the system thinking it was in gear when trying to start)... it works perfectly for a week then suddenly decides not to start... leaving me

Had enough of the bloody thing but its worth less than I owe on the car loan so I'm stuck with it until I can pay it down a bit....

Occasionally it
OK... just like a normal car and makes me cheer

Old 06-27-2012, 10:37 AM
2nd Gear

That made my day Finkpad. Every now and then the underdog wins. Good luck. Hope it starts every time.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Mudding

A++++ for the videos. Actually, i imediately started thinking "ignition system" or a software issue in the ECM. Or, fuel pump. What happens if you hold the key in the start position a bit longer? Let it crank for 5 seconds. Does it sound like there is a hint of life brewing? Also, have someone outside listen for what sounds are happening when you turn the key to the ignition on position. NOT starting position but the last position before you actually turn the key to engage the starter. There should be a high pitched pump sound heard from outside that should last 3 seconds. That would be the electronic fuel pump getting primed... If you don't hear it and the car does not start on that attempt, pay attention to what noises you do hear before the car does start!!! This will help guide you in a better direction for pinpointing the culprit.

I don't think you have a major issue from watching your videos. Just frusterating as all hell!

Lastly, change her name to Natasha or something like that. I don't think she likes Boris

Old 06-28-2012, 12:31 AM
Pro Wrench
Default Camshaft position sensor?

The good news is your engine turns over, it just will not start all the time.

Sometimes that is the camshaft position sensor acting up. If you have access to a Faultmate or the dealer T4, quite often a camshaft sensor will show as an error code.

The problem is fairly common on the diesel engine units in the UK and the cost of a new sensor is not too much.

LAND ROVER CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR RIGHT RH RR SPORT LR3 RANGE 4427657 OEM | eBay

Old 06-28-2012, 07:57 AM
7th Gear

have plugged in and checked error codes many times - no codes shown

when I turn the key and hold it in START position the engine normally turns three times and then just stops... acts as if I removed the key although I am holding it in position... or the alternate is that it just turns over and over and over...

must go... have to go to work in my rental car as Boris would not start yet again last night....

Quick Reply: HELP! 06' LR3 Won't start, AGAIN!