LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! 06' LR3 Won't start, AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 01:21 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You are not going crazy....

Originally Posted by ALLWhiteLR3
intermittent starting issue..
cranks and cranks. Sometimes foot on the gas gets it to start... no check engine light... Help!!!
Try this -- unplug #1 spark plug and try to start... I had the exact same problems and after replacing the same list of things (for much much $$) I found this little spark plug trick did it. 100% of the time.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:22 PM
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default I had the same issue, here's my fix.

I had the exact same issue, no crank / no start. It drove me absolutely nuts. ECU had a million bizarre codes. Truck is now completely fixed. Dash lit up like x-mas.

Issues were as follows:

Water ingress at passenger windshield at cowl, conveniently just above transmission computer. Removed, disassembled and cleaned. All good.

Bad battery ground strap between battery and body. I figured this out by using some huge jumper cables , attached both leads to the negative post on battery, then took other two leads and attached to the frame of the truck. Truck started immediately.

If you have a no-crank situation on an lr3, or a slow crank situation, check this before going through the grief of installing a starter.

The following 3 users liked this post by Herbert Phillips:
EastCoast (10-13-2017), TML16 (07-06-2018), Woodnotrust (08-17-2023)
Old 10-13-2017, 10:26 AM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Great tip about the negative ground strap and the quick diagnostic hack.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:47 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks for the great advice!

Originally Posted by Herbert Phillips
I had the exact same issue, no crank / no start. It drove me absolutely nuts. ECU had a million bizarre codes. Truck is now completely fixed. Dash lit up like x-mas.

Issues were as follows:

Water ingress at passenger windshield at cowl, conveniently just above transmission computer. Removed, disassembled and cleaned. All good.

Bad battery ground strap between battery and body. I figured this out by using some huge jumper cables , attached both leads to the negative post on battery, then took other two leads and attached to the frame of the truck. Truck started immediately.

If you have a no-crank situation on an lr3, or a slow crank situation, check this before going through the grief of installing a starter.
Great advice. I had this same issue. Been reading about it for days.
I just ran a ground cable from my negative post and tapped it into my firewall. Problems gone. Temporary fix until I can get to my ground strap and clean it up or replace it.
Even my computer screen is brighter!

Old 10-08-2019, 01:46 PM
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 LR3 HSE starting problems

yes, please post pics

Old 10-08-2019, 10:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TML16
Great advice. I had this same issue. Been reading about it for days.
I just ran a ground cable from my negative post and tapped it into my firewall. Problems gone. Temporary fix until I can get to my ground strap and clean it up or replace it.
Even my computer screen is brighter!
The biggest problems (in my short life with them) with old Land Rovers are electrical ones, and they are usually BASIC ones, like grounding (or water leaks causing problems) ! Check ALL the basic electrical connections BEFORE calling professionals! That is my $0.25 worth of advice...

Last edited by enb54; 10-08-2019 at 10:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-01-2021, 05:34 AM
1st Gear
Default Pictures please! Having same issue. Tnx.

I’m having exact same issues could you please post or email me the photos? Tnx.

Originally Posted by Greg S
Our 2005 LR3 was having the same issue with the starter not working intermittantly. It was driving the wife crazy as the LR3 is her daily driver. This last week it started acting up again. I could get the starter to click but nothing else. After 10 or so tries it would start!
Being a do it yourself kind of guy I removed the starter to check for problems there. Bench testing gave the same results as in the vehicle. The starter gear would push up but no turning of the motor. Further investigation found the internal copper contacts heavily pitted. I removed the contacts and cleaned them up with emery cloth and reassembled. Bench tested perfectly! The LR3 starts better know than ever since we bought it used last year. I have pictures of the starter contacts before and after if anyone is interested in trying this yourself. Its nothing that any shadetree mechanic couldnt do.
Hope this helps.

Old 03-27-2021, 12:43 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by larrysaccone
Thank you all for taking the time to read this and possibly help. I have been having this problem off and on for 2/3 of the 2+ years I have had the vehicle. I love the car but it's just getting to the point that it's not reliable. Last time this happened, I was in the mountains of West Virginia camping and had to have the car towed to Chantilly, VA. Thank God I had the extended LR warranty and the tow was covered. Would have been almost $1,000!! That being said...

The car will be running fine and have no issues whatsoever. All of the sudden, I will go out to the car later on and it just won't start. The first time it was in the dealership, they said that it was the battery. I paid $150 for a new Interstate battery and it worked fine for a couple of weeks. Then it happened again. This time they had the car for 2 weeks and claimed it was some kind of 'top dead center sensor'. They replaced that, I paid my $100 deductible for the warranty and off I went. This time it lasted a few months. I went to start the car and it started but as I pulled out of my driveway the car lowered and then stalled. I turned it off and restarted it and all seemed to be fine. Net occurrence was in West Virginia. I made a 400+ mile trip from my house with no issue making multiple stops along the way. I get to my destination and turn the car off. I go to start it to move it a half hour later and it's dead again. I have it towed to LR Chantilly, VA. They have the car 5 days and tell me it's a 'starter solenoid relay' or something. I pay my $100 deductible, again, and off I go. As of 3 weeks ago, I am now out of warranty. I go to start my car the other day and here we go again. I turn the key and nothing. I try again and I hear a clicking sound for about 2-3 seconds but nothing else. I test the battery voltage and it's fine. I leave it be for the night. Next day, I borrow an electric battery jumper and try to jump the car. Nothing. Out of desperation, I decide to put the car in reverse and push it a couple of feet to see if maybe getting the engine to turn once or twice will get it to start. Now I try to start the car and it makes the clicking sound for about 10+ seconds but still won't start. I don't want to get rid of this car but I just can't afford to keep dumping money in to it at LR's oh so reasonable labor rate of $120/hr.

Any help or suggestions would be VERY much appreciated!
Thanks,
Larry

Issues starting lr3 since I bought it past year,
read about pcv valve, 30 bucks and 3 minutes and no problem....omg.

Old 03-27-2021, 06:27 PM
1st Gear

Aloha Greg,

Thank s for sharing I also would like to see the pictures of what you did. I suspect my problem may be worse becasue on the first start (when it does engage) it makes a noise as if there was a loose nut bouncing around inside the valves ...

Old 05-08-2023, 09:21 AM
1st Gear
Default Help!!

[QUOTE=larrysaccone;220238]Okay, sorry about the delay but here's what happened.

As I said in my original post, LR has tried several times (at my expense) to repair the problem to no avail. I offroad with the truck pretty frequently in the spring and summer months. I also frequent the beach. That being said, it turns out that the issue was corroded ground wiring between the block and the chassis and the distribution block and the chassis. After cleaning the terminals and connection points and replacing the ground cables with insulated wires, I'm back in business. The resistance readings on the ground system were off the charts. The starter was just not able to overcome it and thusly wouldn't start.

im having the EXACT SAME problem what do I do

Quick Reply: HELP! 06' LR3 Won't start, AGAIN!