LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with AC

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 03:09 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default High Side Pressure?

Your OP mentioned a high side pressure of 450 psi. My [very limited] understanding on AC pressure (after working through my my own AC issues) is that the high side pressure for 134a should be 2.2 to 2.5 times the ambient air temp.

If it's 100 degrees F outside that would put your high side at between 220 and 250 psi.

So, 450 psi seems extremely high - possibly indicating a blockage in the line downstream from the compressor (drier, accumulator, etc). This might also explain premature compressor failures.

You also said your tech replaced everything downstream. I'd make sure they blow the lines and ensure everything is clear and clean before that next compressor goes in.

Last edited by Airstream345; 06-15-2015 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:43 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by unseenone
absolutely... I would have chosen that.. What did it set you back, vendor, etc. just curious.
It set me back 340 on Amazon, they are now 330. Good news Amazon is going to warranty it. Should have new one tomorrow. I have another condenser and drier in my garage that I will put in with new compressor too just incase

Old 06-17-2015, 01:13 PM
Three Wheeling

Anyone know how much nd-8 pag oil needs to be in the compressor when it is replaced? Work shop manual doesn't specify for compressor.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:55 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

pgoodrich,
Did your AC compressor arrive with o-rings and oil from Amazon? Mine arrived without them but the manual that came with the compressor references oil and o-rings in a separate plastic bag.

Just asking before I contact the seller directly. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:36 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Airstream345
pgoodrich, Did your AC compressor arrive with o-rings and oil from Amazon? Mine arrived without them but the manual that came with the compressor references oil and o-rings in a separate plastic bag. Just asking before I contact the seller directly. Thanks in advance.
It did come with oil already in the compressor. You will have to look inside the port to verify. No o rings came with it though.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:09 PM
Three Wheeling

I still have my original problem now that the compressor is new. After sitting in the sun for a couple hours the ac won't work until about 20 minutes of driving. I am just done with the ac on this lr3. I am thinking of selling it but I can't come to it since I just put on steel bumpers front and rear.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Here is an assumption that might be quite wrong..

I was at the shop while they were working on my truck, waiting for parts. The guys were doing a NEW ac compressor on a vehicle. I watched them carefully drain all the oil out of the compressor, measure it and refill it. It had too much oil in it.

If yours does not come with the oil, most garages that do AC work would probably have it.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:09 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pgoodrich
I still have my original problem now that the compressor is new. After sitting in the sun for a couple hours the ac won't work until about 20 minutes of driving. I am just done with the ac on this lr3. I am thinking of selling it but I can't come to it since I just put on steel bumpers front and rear.
Have u try this?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Heating AC System Test

The issue with the A/C may be a Control lever/Recirculation flap or some other control door bit.

With the ignition off, press and hold the ECON & RECIRC buttons while turning the ignition on. There is no need to start your 3, but I do as a matter of routine as it ensures sufficient voltage to run the system computers.

The control module will then compare the current HVAC actuator motor positions with the values stored in the module and will indicate an error by flashing the ECON LED.

If there are no errors, the LED will go out and the system will function normally.

To confirm that there are no errors, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, then back to the ON position.

Observe the operation of the programmed defrost LED.

If there are errors present, the programmed defrost LED will flash and the system will attempt to calibrate itself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those comes from below URL thread

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...estions-74048/

The following users liked this post:
unseenone (07-13-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 12:43 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by a_wick_2010
Have u try this?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Heating AC System Test

The issue with the A/C may be a Control lever/Recirculation flap or some other control door bit.

With the ignition off, press and hold the ECON & RECIRC buttons while turning the ignition on. There is no need to start your 3, but I do as a matter of routine as it ensures sufficient voltage to run the system computers.

The control module will then compare the current HVAC actuator motor positions with the values stored in the module and will indicate an error by flashing the ECON LED.

If there are no errors, the LED will go out and the system will function normally.

To confirm that there are no errors, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, then back to the ON position.

Observe the operation of the programmed defrost LED.

If there are errors present, the programmed defrost LED will flash and the system will attempt to calibrate itself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those comes from below URL thread

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...estions-74048/
Yes I have done this. Latest update all pressures are good but electrical is turning off the compressor, haven't figured out what yet.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:59 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, I am facing same problem with similar symptom, any clue so far for root cause?

Quick Reply: Help with AC