LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Milage LR3 issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 07:37 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default High Milage LR3 issues

Firstly, thanks to this community for helping me solve my air suspension issue.
Now I have had a couple of problems crop up in the past week. One is a transmission issue, the other an engine issue. Lastly, there is some very bad electrical repair work that seems to be done. I'll post a few pics of that as see what you guys think.
The ECU is throwing - P2098-00 (36) Post catalyst fuel trim system too lean - bank 2
The engine is running fine. I do however seem to hear something like a sucking noise in the cabin towards the right side when I accelerate. It is very subtle, but I think it may be a vacuum leak. I cannot seem to trace it down though if it is.

The other code that worries me is a Transmission code - Incorrect Gear ratio. The transmission seemed to shift decent. When downshifting to accelerate if can be more 'clunky' than I like, but not bad for 224k miles.
So the story on the transmission so far is that I got this code initially and then I was playing around with the IIDTool and found the adaptation reset option. Foolishly I did it. After that, I got another code about incorrect shifts from 3-4 and the transmission was not shifting properly at all. The ECU would put the car into a Transmission limp home mode. However, I simply kept clearing the codes and continued to drive the car for 2 days very slowly and would clear any transmission code that arose. Now the transmission seems to shift fine and does not throw any codes. it had the incorrect gear ration but it actually cleared itself. the only thing I can complain about is a small jerk when the car shifts to first gear when coming to a stop. that too has gotten better. So my plan now is just to change the transmission oil and filter just because I have no idea when that was done last and cross my fingers that it keeps going. I would greatly appreciate any wisdom in the area though. I will let you guys know too if the transmission throws any codes soon.

The wiring issue was found when I was changing my right front headlight. It looks like someone decided that the factory wiring was crap and that they should use the mighty scotchlok to solve all the issues. I have no idea what is going on here and what the wires even go to. I thought maybe I should just solder the wires they have connected and heat-shrink them, but maybe someone on here knows what might be going on...

Those are my main issues about, but I thought I might as well play all my cards on the table and let you guys look through them to see if any of the issues that the IIDtool list might be easy fixes.

Here is my complete current list of issues in picture format:

FYI. the air conditioning works great. Not sure about the rear stuff, but I have no complaints about it I just have codes for it.

Old 08-31-2020, 01:40 PM
Mudding
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Might me a long shot but I did a bumper swap on my 06 SE w/o fogs to a bumper with fogs. It looks like the connector for the fog light, but I did see a bezel in one of your photos so if so it should be connected. Possibly PO rewired to have fogs and brights on at the same time? I dont know, but I can pull mine off later this afternoon or tomorrow when ever the rain eases up here in NC and look at mine, possibly take a photo or two for ya!

Old 08-31-2020, 03:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Clear all the codes and see what you get back. Most of those don't look too serious. The wiring reminds me of the work done by a UHaul 'technician' who fitted the towbar to vehicle I subsequently acquired. They used those Scotchlok things to wire in the tow electrics to the rear light cluster and in so doing caused a host of gremlins to creep in. If you have rear air, does that mean you have an HSE? If so, wouldn't that mean you had front fogs fitted as standard? Many with the base vehicle in the UK have retro-fitted fogs to Discovery 3s, so Scoutrover13's suggestion is a good one. My thought was that the wiring could be a set of spots that the PO may have had fitted to a nudge bar if it ever had one of those.

Old 09-01-2020, 01:10 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Spot on!

Originally Posted by pagoda
Clear all the codes and see what you get back. Most of those don't look too serious. The wiring reminds me of the work done by a UHaul 'technician' who fitted the towbar to vehicle I subsequently acquired. They used those Scotchlok things to wire in the tow electrics to the rear light cluster and in so doing caused a host of gremlins to creep in. If you have rear air, does that mean you have an HSE? If so, wouldn't that mean you had front fogs fitted as standard? Many with the base vehicle in the UK have retro-fitted fogs to Discovery 3s, so Scoutrover13's suggestion is a good one. My thought was that the wiring could be a set of spots that the PO may have had fitted to a nudge bar if it ever had one of those.
wow! I think you are both spot on. This is the SE model and I suppose they wired in the fog lights as I do have fog lights installed. When I first got it i did notice the marking you see at the auto salvage where they use white or yellow to number and label their parts. There was a L and an R on the fog lights for Left and right. Well. I think I will fix the wiring for something better than scotchloks. Won’t take but a couple minutes to solder up some stuff. Some people are just so lazy.

I did clear the codes and i immediately get the engine code back after start up.
the air bag and tyre sensor one come back soon too. The ventilation stuff seems to only come back very randomly.

Old 09-01-2020, 02:49 PM
Mudding

Ok, so Ill be able to pull my head light off this afternoon as it looks to have stopped raining for the time being. I would check into weather the lights are aftermarket vs. pulled from a donor LR3. Mine was direct plug and play. already had the connector. However they would have needed to pull the switch inside the cab too as it would need to the correct switch. Is yours a generic toggle or does it use the factory headlight switch?
If no to those then I agree with pogoda on the added driving/fogs on a bumper or nudge bar. Follow the wire and check if there is no connector than maybe they did not have the connector in the first place.
Like I said I will pull it this afternoon and take some photos for you for comparison.

Old 09-01-2020, 05:49 PM
Mudding

Here is some pics for you to compare. I've tried to take similar ones as you have. It definitely looks to be the fog light connector (in my opinion that is) hope this helps and hope you get it squired away. The LR3 is a finicky thing when it comes to power and wires.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:30 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The P2098-00 (36) Post catalyst fuel trim system too lean - bank 2 I had on mine as well. Tried the O2 sensor and it came back withing 1 drive. Turned out the Catalytic was clogged. I put two none OEM ones in and so far so good. We will see long term.

Old 09-15-2020, 06:53 AM
Mudding

Any updates as to what fog light issue?