LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How could this happen?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 09:33 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How could this happen?

I live in the Northeast, NY to be specific. We got hit with a huge snow storm that hasnt even let up. Anyway yesterday i was driving my 2007 LR3 SE around in the snow, and it was doing great. It was handlin all sorts of snow covered terrain. Then i felt pretty confident and wanted to see how it would do going down a hill. Well it went down the hill, but now it wont come up. Its stuck. I dont get it. How could this vehicle get stuck in snow? The car is facing uphill, so its gotta climb up. Why did this happen in my LR3? Should i raise the suspension or lower it? do i put it in low range? what should i do?

Old 12-21-2008, 12:27 PM
Overlanding
Default RE: How could this happen?

I suppose you have tried the "snow" setting and the other settings? How are your tires? Good tread? Maybe you can let some of the air out of your tires so you have more surface area in the snow. Try backing down the hill a bit and then slowly accelerate up the hill. Good luck!

Old 12-21-2008, 12:37 PM
7th Gear

The easiest thing would be to go get some chains (one for each tire); well that's not true. The easiest thing would be to get some salt or driveway melter and a good shovel. You'll only need to raise the vehicle if you need the clearance. Use as high a gear as you can, too much torque will just spin the wheels. If the snow is deep it's kinda like sand, and you can let some air out of your tires (but then chains are out...). Honestly, brother, call a buddy, go get some chains. Keep them in the back (as you can only go SLOW with chains on) the weather isn't going to get any better...

Why did this happen? You're driving a 9000lb vehicle in the snow without snow tires (I'm guessing) or chains, and the vehicle lost traction. Not much different from the mud now, regain traction and get out. If the hill is kicking your butt, then walk the hill, plan your approach, dig out a track, salt and/or sand the track and kick the hill's ***; or, get ya some chains and then kick the hills ***. If that fails, call FT Drum and seek help from 10th Mountain If you're really stuck hard, send me a PM and tell me where you are, maybe I can come and help ya out I'm just couple states east and bored.
Good luck

Sam

Old 12-21-2008, 06:38 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If you are most likely running the stock tires, I would be surprised you got as far as you did, they are terrible in snow and worse if you are new the the truck and don't know the proper setting to be running in.
Good luck.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The number one mistake most Land Rover owners make is to think that because the hood sais "Land Rover" they can do everything. The best track and field runner would have serious issues if you put him on an ice scating ring and asked him to run with metal soled shoes. All the best traction control electronics in the world (and you have them in your LR3) will help very little if the tires you are using provide zero traction in the ice/snow. Do yourself a favor and buy a set of Good Year Silent Armours if you get that kind of nasty ice where you live. Then tell us how the LR3 handled the NY winter.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:11 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I have seen a number of newbee RR and LR3 owners hit the snow here in Colorado and with some instruction and experience, tackle 12"s of new powder while driving some of our back country trails. It is all based on your experience with your LR3 and tires.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:15 AM
2nd Gear

the best thing you could do in your case is to find someone with a Jeep - any Jeep - and theyll pull you up said hill.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:17 AM
2nd Gear

I think I can help you with your predicament.

I am sure when you realized you were stuck you were saying alot of 4 letter words but the only 4 letter word that would have helped you is JEEP

I also have a link for help with offroading in general......www.jeep.com

Old 02-03-2009, 04:22 AM
1st Gear

don't you know, nothing can go in the snow like a jeep.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:35 AM
2nd Gear

in all seriousness, don't lower your tire pressure and put it in 4 low.

you want a harder tire to give you more contact pressure on the ice. start with adequate throttle at the bottom of the hill and ease up as you get to the top. youll need momentum.

Quick Reply: How could this happen?