LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How is the LR3 locking rear diff supposed to work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 08:47 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How is the LR3 locking rear diff supposed to work?

Today I looked at a 2007 LR3 with the locking rear diff with the intent to purchase the car but I am not sure the locking diff is working correctly. I have no experience with these so I hope someone here can advise me.

Car seems to drive fine in high range. When I drove it around a parking lot in low range making 90 degree turns I could hear and feel the rear diff binding. There was no indication on the 4x4 info screen that the diff was locked. In a straight line everything seemed OK. If the diff was locked I can understand there would be some binding when on pavement but the info screen did not show it locked.

I want this car to replace my P38 for offroad so the locking diff would be a plus but not if I need to repair it.
Seller will hold the car for a few days so I dont have much time to decide. Any help appreciated.
Gordon

Old 03-20-2023, 09:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

This can be one of two things. If it only did it in low range and in particular in settings that would likely lock the rear diff then it's the rear diff, and either the clutch packs are hosed, or the software needs to be updated before they do get hosed.

If it is happening in some mode that is more general, it could be the same issue but with the center diff/T-Case. I have experienced both. If you had a GAP Tool you could look for a code and it would tell you which diff the problem is in. Not sure you want to gamble on this being the software not "learnt" versus the clutch packs being worn out.

Good luck!

Old 03-20-2023, 10:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 777 Likes on 651 Posts

The rear diff is not a locking diff, per say, it is an e-diff. Which means it uses a clutch to vary the amount of differential happening. I forget the amount that will trigger the icon on the dash, maybe 80% of full lock or such. With that said, in low range the trucks simply feel more bite on the surface anyway. More of a matter of torque feel in the driveline than an actual diff issue. And it is not like being in low automatically means the center or rear diff are locked/partially locked since steering angle+speed is the biggest factor in how they operate and when.

So all of that is assuming it is working right. If not, then you will have codes including ones for the rear diff and if it thinks the clutches are worn, etc.

Last edited by DakotaTravler; 12-24-2023 at 05:01 PM.