LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overhyped or Don't Pass It Up - How do we feel about HD Rear Locking Diff?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2023, 02:07 PM
Mudding
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Overhyped or Don't Pass It Up - How do we feel about HD Rear Locking Diff?

I know there are a ton of technical posts about how to find a rear locking diff and how it kicks in on its own and how they're hard to find but, what's everyone's gut reaction to a rear locking diff?

Is it worth it just for potential resale? Loose consensus seems to be that that proper tires are probably more important than locking diff for 90% of users, all things being equal is HD the smarter buy, anyone out there pass up on it and regret it or hold out and are thankful, as a daily driver and road trip beast that also doubles as an adventure rig does it even matter if you aren't rock crawling or hauling yachts over mountain passes?

What do you think - is the "coveted" rear diff overhyped on the LR4 or is it actually pretty well coveted?

Old 02-03-2023, 04:47 PM
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was searching for a LR4 it was mandatory for me. If you're mainly a paved/gravel road and easy/medium trail driver I'd say get any of them if you can't wait. However if you get stuck you will always wonder if the rear locker would have got you out IMO.

The following users liked this post:
KH406 (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 08:00 AM
guy
Winching
Received 97 Likes on 86 Posts

Agreed.
Rear lockers fundamentally changes the way the vehicle handles. But if 90% of your driving is on groomed roads (pavement or gravel) and suburbs… do you really need it??

My LR2 doesn’t have one. Coincidentally, my xkr doesn’t… yet! ( the xjr and s-typeR, did.). but I do drive aggressively in all conditions.
The coming LR4 will have one…. but he’s going deeper into the back 40 than the LR2 has (which is pretty far, mind you. In all conditions).

Your point about the importance of good tires is right on. I don’t cheap out. I have multiple sets for the different conditions.

KH406 (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 11:33 AM
Mudding

Honestly I'm sorta split down the middle. I will use it as a daily driver and road trip rig so the on road ride is half of it, but the other half is hitting old fire roads to get to fire lookouts, backcountry camping locations, alpine fly fishing, camping, etc. so I think and HD would certainly be preferred but given how few rigs have HD and are well taken care of that are on the market in any given month, it just seems like I might be looking for like 2 years before I land on one lol.

It's also an uneven split - basically every weekend for four months of the summer I'm hitting dirt roads and exploring, while the other 8 months I'm driving in snow around town and heading up to go skiing and driving around town.

Since I don't actively "offroad" or rock crawl as a standalone hobby or haul heavy, I think I can probably sneak by without an HD - although I'd rather have it for peace of mind (and potential resale interest) I'm also starting to think I can live without it if I find an example with all the other boxes checked.

guy (03-08-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 12:22 AM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I’ve owned LR4 with and without one. We go up on high elevation fire roads quite a bit, particularly when it snows. Found the HD makes navigating those roads much easier - the up and downhill. Also towing ppl out of ditches in snow much easier. I’m happy I have it.

Would life still be fine in those roads without it? Sure would be.. it’s just a nice to have for me, not essential.

guy (03-09-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 03:30 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have to ask if you need don't then you probably don't need one! I used to off road a Nissan Xterra with no locking diff. It took for me to do some fairly gnarly stuff before I thought I needed a locking diff. Think off camber, wheel off the ground type of trails. I found that Tires are the most important thing for off roading, followed by ground clearance and Momentum is the next most important thing, its amazing what you can get over if you have some momentum. Then its recovery gear, winch / high lift etc.

Old 03-09-2023, 03:39 PM
Mudding

Yeah I think this is where I'm at - if one has the rear locker then it's a plus and right on, but if it doesn't it isn't a deal breaker at all. I've taken some old sedans up old logging roads in Washington when I was younger that besides clearance issues, pretty impressive what I could do just being a decent driver lol.

I do a bit more clearance related roads with ruts, and snow activities up mountains these days to trust that level of youthful exuberance for my explorations these days, but I feel like 80% of what I'll do will probably be fine without a locker but since this is my first LR3 it's hard "on paper" to not feel like "I should get the rear locker cause it's better!" even though it's perfectly capable without. Always super appreciative of this community to provide some levity and real world insight.

Currently have an '06 HSE and an '08 HSE in my sights from the same enthusiast owner. The '06 is in good shape and has the rear locker, but the '08 had one owner from new until about 6 months ago and the current owner is fixing it up a bit to sell and it's in much better shape with an impeccable interior and just over 100k miles so it's the front runner for me. Even though it's up against a rear locker example from the same guy, the condition and mileage are worth it in my mind to not worry so much about that rear diff.

Old 03-12-2023, 04:27 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by KH406
I know there are a ton of technical posts about how to find a rear locking diff and how it kicks in on its own and how they're hard to find but, what's everyone's gut reaction to a rear locking diff?

Is it worth it just for potential resale? Loose consensus seems to be that that proper tires are probably more important than locking diff for 90% of users, all things being equal is HD the smarter buy, anyone out there pass up on it and regret it or hold out and are thankful, as a daily driver and road trip beast that also doubles as an adventure rig does it even matter if you aren't rock crawling or hauling yachts over mountain passes?

What do you think - is the "coveted" rear diff overhyped on the LR4 or is it actually pretty well coveted?
Overhyped. I live in the Pine barrens - sand roads and some deep muddy holes. 2010 LR4 LUX, 152,000 miles, sure, I'm not rock crawling. But never felt like I've needed a locker. In my environment it goes everywhere my friends lifted Rubicon (2007) goes, plus I don't have to perform the extra maintenance on the rear diff.

Last edited by Bogwhoppit; 03-12-2023 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-12-2023, 04:38 PM
Drifting

So you see the locking rear diff symbol come on a lot? Funny that, in thick deep sugar sand, my center locker on comes on for perhaps 1 or 2 seconds, and then its gone, as I have momentum. I'm not sure if the rear locker (If I had one) would ever have the chance to come on.