LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many off-road their Lr3 ? Let's see photos

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 04:59 PM
TReK
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

Do you guys stick with the air bag suspension or convert to springs for the light off-road stuff ???

Old 03-14-2018, 05:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

"Model X Land Rover" hahahaha.....actually I'd buy that over "yeah look at this D2 with lockers and 35s." NOT a Disco.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Hmmmm.....here is a discussion point I have with friends:

At what point, after certain mods, do the vehicles cease being a RRC or Disco2 or LR3? How much of its DNA has to get changed before it's just not what it was any longer? I feel like once you start changing mechanical components, it's no longer an xyz vehicle.

Example: You take a Disco 2, add a 4" lift, 35" tires, lockers (can you even do that?) and change the gears in the rear end. I say "no longer a Discovery" because it's a different running gear, different diffs, etc.

Take an LR3 and trick the EAS into letting you access Extended Height.....still stock?

Confirmation bias?

What do you guys think? What's the line?
I think for me the cut-off is when you start changing the chassis. Look at the 'truggies' - they start as a truck but then slowly replace piece of frame with tube until they get to the point there's almost nothing left of the original expect a VIN.

Suspension mods/swaps - no problem. Throw a Dana axle under your Rover and it's still a Rover.

Engine swaps start to push it. Is a Defender with an LS or Cummins still a Defender? I think so. Mainly because it's still a Defender chassis/body.

Now if you take that same Defender but now it gets a full tube chassis, plus big axles and a engine swap...even if it has Defender bodywork that's pretty much moved into the 'other' category.

As for MT/Rs in the snow, I'm hoping to find out how the 35x10.50R15 MT/Rs on the D1 do on Saturday, but my buddies are starting to drop out. Don't think I'm going to challenge the new snow solo so hopefully a couple are still up for a run. I'm thinking I'll start at 5 psi and go down from there if it's as soft as I fear.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:23 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 03-14-2018, 11:38 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
You guys are lucky as heck to have those off roads here in Toronto Canada we don't have anything just flat lands unless you own a farm or something
love the pics and since my last lr which was a 04 disco I have been itching to get another lr
I think getting a Lr3 will be better for me as market here for a decent one is 8-10 k cdn around 200,000 km disco seen to be beat up and in rough shape here
i do most of the work not scared to tackle some repairs
I'll never claim California is perfect, but on the geography front we can hold our own...

Old 03-14-2018, 11:49 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
Do you guys stick with the air bag suspension or convert to springs for the light off-road stuff ???
Mine is still on air, though I have considered going to coils. That's a major discussion in and of itself (one I'm currently involved in over on ExPo actually) and not something to get into here.

I would recommend staying on air for most moderate wheeling and street driving though if you're facing a major replacement of compressor and struts I can certainly see the allure of going to coils. One and done then never think about it again.

For a truck that's going to see off-road use I'd suggest getting a GAP tool and using that to dial in some lift. This will help with clearance as well as being a generally useful (must have I'd say) tool for the LR3. How much lift you can get with a GAP tool varies a bit from truck to truck, but you should be able to basically make the stock 'off road' height you're new 'normal' height, with matching changes to access and off-road settings.

Lift rods or the LLAMS device will also give you similar results. The LLAMS is the only one that will let you adjust lift on-the-fly, though to be fair mine did freak out one day and I've not trouble-shot it to see if I can get it working again.

For moderate off-road or fire road use, I'd get a good AT tire in 265/65-18, a GAP tool for a bit of lift, and go to it! As for skids or armor, a set of rock sliders would be my first upgrade. Then a front bumper w/winch. On both I like Tactical Rovers.

Like anything, you can keep going from there, but really the best use for this truck is moderate wheeling and exploring. More the 'overland' than 'rock crawler' approach. Keep that in mind with your build and you can have a really comfortable and capable truck.

Just don't hang around the build up solid axle trucks too much or you'll start getting envious.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:37 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Zelatore
I think for me the cut-off is when you start changing the chassis. Look at the 'truggies' - they start as a truck but then slowly replace piece of frame with tube until they get to the point there's almost nothing left of the original expect a VIN.

Suspension mods/swaps - no problem. Throw a Dana axle under your Rover and it's still a Rover.

Engine swaps start to push it. Is a Defender with an LS or Cummins still a Defender? I think so. Mainly because it's still a Defender chassis/body.

Now if you take that same Defender but now it gets a full tube chassis, plus big axles and a engine swap...even if it has Defender bodywork that's pretty much moved into the 'other' category.
This was pretty much what I was thinking as well. In my view frame and body make it what it is. Lift and tires is “accessorizing.”

Old 03-15-2018, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

"Model X Land Rover" hahahaha.....actually I'd buy that over "yeah look at this D2 with lockers and 35s." NOT a Disco.
By model "x" I meant whatever model it is defender, range Rover discovery etc

This to me is no longer a Land Rover it's a buggy truggy whatever term you like.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/c...505259016.html

Last edited by ArmyRover; 03-15-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:02 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Well....we can't agree on that. I think once you change the suspension geometry or type, it's not what it was anymore. Change engine, change gears, etc. Adding a spacer or something, no big deal...but if you are bolting on different mechanical parts than it left the factory with which significantly change its performance, then it's not the same model.

Adding a skid plate, nahhhh....adding a rear locker that wasn't available on the original vehicle, yeah you just changed it.

So you take a D1, rip everything out of it but the body and frame and re-build it with all Jeep parts, and it's still a Discovery? That argument doesn't jibe with me. I know that that is a ludicrous example, but I did that on purpose. Clearly, the line can't be as piddly as "change a shift lever and it's not a Disco" but it also cannot be as broad as "just keep the frame and body and it's a Disco" either.

I think this is a fun topic with many interpretations...not a clear right/wrong, that's why I brought it up. I enjoy arguing, respectfully, so that's all this is about.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:42 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think once you change the suspension geometry or type, it's not what it was anymore. Change engine, change gears, etc. Adding a spacer or something, no big deal...but if you are bolting on different mechanical parts than it left the factory with which significantly change its performance, then it's not the same model.

Adding a skid plate, nahhhh....adding a rear locker that wasn't available on the original vehicle, yeah you just changed it.
What do you call your LR3? By your standard I reckon it’s not an LR3 anymore. When you added aggressive off road tires you’ve significantly increased its off highway performance and when you dial in that GAP tool lift you’ve changed the suspension geometry. I get where you’re coming from that there is no right or wrong answer. Your view definantly sets the extreme on one end of the spectrum.

Quick Reply: How many off-road their Lr3 ? Let's see photos