LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If the Bolt pattern matches, does that mean they will fit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 11:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts
Default There is hope!

You may be OK but given that they are 2014 rims, maybe not, as that is a from a pretty new vehicle.

The early RR Sports were just short wheelbase 3's but the new ones tend to be closer to the new FFRR now. The game with the new vehicles is to lighten them up and I suppose the offsets are different now as well as I do not think the 2014 RRS or FFRR has a frame any longer - unit body now - just not what I think a real 4x4 should be - but then a $200,000 Full Fat Range Rover is not for traversing Africa either.

When you get the wheels, look on the inside of the rims for the rated loads etc.

Since the wheels are official Land Rover, they will most likely be made by Cromodora and hence have the load rating moulded into the backside of one of the spokes per the jpg below. Other of the spokes will have other info moulded in. What I am getting at is that some of the RR Sport wheels are also speced on the LR3/4 and vice versa. Hence you may be lucky. it is just that there is not all the RRS wheels are also available for the 3 and 4.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:48 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually the difference is 1,069 lbs.

2008 LR3: 5796 lbs.
2014 RRS: 4727 lbs.

Based on this, I do not feel comfortable installing these. It's too bad, but I'm glad I know the facts now.

Any other thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Default Kind of figured it might be near a thousand pounds.

I am not surprised at the weight difference. The new Sport has a unit body and to my mind is more of a show machine than hill climber. Details such as high and low range are missing which I doubt is a big deal on Hollywood Blvd.

I presume there should be some numbers similar to my jpg's above that are moulded on the rear of the spokes of the 2014 wheels.

Is there a weight number visible? I would be interested in what the number is - and I think you are showing good judgement.

Just buying new rubber took me months of investigation. It seems everything on the 3 is unique and hence more complex than first appears.

That is why I have over the years posted so much data in my album - every time I wanted to change something, it first turned into a research project.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Home > Member Galleries > bbyer

Old 03-05-2015, 09:14 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

High AND Low range are missing? What exactly does that machine have then? Does the center diff even lock?

Old 03-05-2015, 09:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Default Full Time All Wheel Drive

OK, I miss wrote.

I really meant the High Range / Low Range switch no longer exists.

I think this is also true on the LR4 now that it has just the V6.

The idea was to emulate BMW, VW, Toyota, and Mercedes with their full time All Wheel Drive station wagons where there is also no low range available.

There is both a significant weight and cost saving involved as well as improved MPG.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by bbyer
I think this is also true on the LR4 now that it has just the V6.
I believe the two speed transfer case on the latest LR4 is optional, at least that is what I think I read. I wonder how many have it?

Old 03-05-2015, 10:47 AM
Pro Wrench

I doubt many of the V6 4's have the high / low range.

It seems when a manufacturer decides to close a line down, they feel obligated to make changes so that the vehicle no longer has the features that made it sell. Then having succeeded in killing sales, they point to their lack of production numbers to justify killing production.

Me, since they want to kill the Discovery as we know it and still cannot figure out how to build a Defender to compete with Toyota, I do not know why Land Rover does not just take the Discovery Diesel Commercial which is already stripped down and on coil springs and market it as a new Defender.

It meets all the safety and emission rules of the Western world, hence could compete with the Land Cruiser and have no development costs - just marketing costs.

None of the Toyota stuff is particularly high tech, high style, or according to the Australians, even that reliable engine wise, hence Land Rover has an opportunity.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:26 PM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The low range is optional and is now part of the "Heavy duty package" which also gets you the locking rear differential.

Attached Thumbnails If the Bolt pattern matches, does that mean they will fit?-hdoption.jpg  
Old 03-05-2015, 04:42 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Completely lame...

Old 03-05-2015, 05:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Default What engine?

The upgrade price is not bad considering the E diff is included but as you can see, how many dealers will order that. We need them as cast offs from the soccer mom / grocery getter group.

What engine to you get with the package - the new V6?

Quick Reply: If the Bolt pattern matches, does that mean they will fit?