LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IID Tool GAP with Johnson Rods vs IID Tool GAP without Johnson Rods and Height measur

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019 | 07:06 PM
Mudding

Yes I am with rsvrman, thanks, Ill pull my Proud Rhinos off tomorrow and reinstall the OE rods and play with the lift with those numbers. Thank you for that!

Old 07-12-2019 | 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Don't know of a thicker rod. Never bent one of my Proud Rhino rods on the 07 and my 06 is coil converted.

Lucky8 has the hd CV shafts. Watched those get used in anger spinning 35s on a LR4 and 33's on RRS during Red Clay Rally

Old 07-13-2019 | 06:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Default I have a thicker rod...

Bwahahahaha.....couldn't resist.

Old 02-14-2020 | 08:39 AM
Drifting

Hi Guys,

I have the rhino 2" rods but yet to install them. I'm close to getting the GAP.

I was playing with the "extended" mode by lowering on to a 2x6 from off-road mode. To my surprise I did get another full 2" of lift past the off road setting.

That had me worried if I add the 2" rod, and then go in to extended mode ( so +4" past off road height) would I be at risk of wrecking something. I emailed lucky8 and they said they run the rods and go into extended all the time. That's a crazy high lift.

So here is my thinking, and please help me if I'm off or can simplify this.

I have 1" bigger tires and have never had an issue with rubbing. So keeping stock height is not only better on fuel but safer. So for the 90% of the time of being on road that's where I would want it.

What I'm thinking is adding the rods and using the GAP tool setting 1 to lower the Disco back to stock height.

Then set setting 2 of the GAP to stock height, which would give me the +2" for rutty or deep snow trails.

That would leave me the third third GAP setting to add the +35mm. This would result in close to 4" of lift. Used only to get over that hump, out of that rut, or allow easier access for a shovel. I would not want to drive to far with those extreme angles.

Has anybody gone to that height extreme? Rods + extended mode? Was there an "out of range triggered"

I do not have the GAP tool yet, so I don't know it's full potential. From what I see in the manual it is +35mm (less than 2"). They do however say that the further you are away from 0 the lift or drop is greater due to a non linear progression. I don't know how far that skewing is, but I doubt it would get to 4". If that is in deed safe to get that lift for emergency situations. So the rods would be needed.

Any experience on on this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-14-2020 | 09:19 AM
Camel Trophy

I have read that some LR3s need the rods in conjunction with the GAP tool in order to achieve proper height adds, because their base calibration didn't allow it....or something like this. I never quite got it because my LR3 is not like that.

I haven't used my modified rods in about 5 years. I take them with me on trips just in case, but they stay in a shoebox. I use the GAP tool exclusively. I have one setting for Off-Road Height, and it's in the sweet spot where you can still go into Extended Height w/o tripping an out-of-range fault; however, you cannot get to SUPER Extended Height. As for your plan to use the rods AND the GAP to get 4" of lift....I don't think I see how that happens. The range of the EAS is fixed. You can basically do everything you said above with JUST the IIDTool (no rods) but there won't be a +4" setting. Unless you mean +4 from Standard Height. Yes, sure....that's just Extended Height basically, but on demand!

None of these methods are true "lifts" of the LR3; they are just manipulations of the EAS.

Old 02-14-2020 | 10:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by MudDisco
Hi Guys,

I have the rhino 2" rods but yet to install them. I'm close to getting the GAP.

I was playing with the "extended" mode by lowering on to a 2x6 from off-road mode. To my surprise I did get another full 2" of lift past the off road setting.

That had me worried if I add the 2" rod, and then go in to extended mode ( so +4" past off road height) would I be at risk of wrecking something. I emailed lucky8 and they said they run the rods and go into extended all the time. That's a crazy high lift.

So here is my thinking, and please help me if I'm off or can simplify this.

I have 1" bigger tires and have never had an issue with rubbing. So keeping stock height is not only better on fuel but safer. So for the 90% of the time of being on road that's where I would want it.

What I'm thinking is adding the rods and using the GAP tool setting 1 to lower the Disco back to stock height.

Then set setting 2 of the GAP to stock height, which would give me the +2" for rutty or deep snow trails.

That would leave me the third third GAP setting to add the +35mm. This would result in close to 4" of lift. Used only to get over that hump, out of that rut, or allow easier access for a shovel. I would not want to drive to far with those extreme angles.

Has anybody gone to that height extreme? Rods + extended mode? Was there an "out of range triggered"

I do not have the GAP tool yet, so I don't know it's full potential. From what I see in the manual it is +35mm (less than 2"). They do however say that the further you are away from 0 the lift or drop is greater due to a non linear progression. I don't know how far that skewing is, but I doubt it would get to 4". If that is in deed safe to get that lift for emergency situations. So the rods would be needed.

Any experience on on this would be greatly appreciated.
I wouldn't worry too much about it because IIRC, there are two "extended modes". It's been a long time since I've used it, so I hope I'm remembering correctly, but if you get highsided, the truck will go into "extended mode" automatically to help get you off. However, you also have the option of pushing the selector **** up to get a "super extended mode", which will raise you even more. If you're stuck, then I would do whatever needs to be done to get unstuck. But I certainly wouldn't drive around in that sort of mode or try to power through an obstacle of some sort with your axles at that extreme angle. I'm running a 2-2.5" lift all the time on my truck and have gone into extended mode without a problem. I can't recall if I've gone into super extended-mode, but I do drive around in off-road mode on the rails constantly (like 4" lift total) with no issues.

Old 02-14-2020 | 03:45 PM
Drifting

This ended up going to another post

Thanks guys,

I do understand the concept of the rods or GAP just shifting the 3 or 5 modes up 2”

Perhaps, the extended mode is where I am a bit confused.

When I did my test, I made a 2x6 about 2mm short of frame height and lowered from off-road mode. When it went into extended mode I went out to look and the frame was just 2-3mm above the 2x6. No real change. When I held the brake and lift button, it added a full 2”. So I assumed that is what is meant by extended mode. Is this extended and is there a Super extended? I’ve even seen a video on Super, Super extended mode on Youtube.

perhaps some real numbers would help.
From what I can tell there is 6-7 height settings

acesss -2”
highway triggered at speed. -1”
standard 0”
offroad 1 if in off road but over 30mph +2”
offroad 2 +3”
extended. No change +3”
Super extended. +5”

these are my measurements with no lift. If either lift gap or Rod can be run and the 2” super extended. That would be 7”. I’m not sure why anyone would say they can run a lift and extended mode if they just mean the dash said extended mode but there was zero lift.

Have you guys measured your lift changes?
I get there is a max range but would like to know that number in which the out of range is triggered.

Old 02-14-2020 | 03:47 PM
Drifting

This one as well, thought I should keep this string together.

Thanks for that info.

The 3” after off road height is what I was interested in. I will likely never go that far but have been in a situation already where it would have helped out.

I was stuck in monster ruts in swamp water. Backing back into the water was not an option, and there was a solid hump stopping me from going forward. There was no ability to trick the system to go into extended.

The kicker was I had to wade in swamp water to take the panel off to get a pull. I now cut a hole in the panel so that will never be an issue again.

Having the ability to temporary lift the disco 3” would have got me out for sure.

On a side note the Disco 5 does have off-road 1 and off road 2. The one is not really an option and is only triggered after speed.

From the manual:
The off-road height setting is dependent on the vehicle's speed. The Off-Road 1 height is 40 mm above the normal height setting, up to a maximum vehicle speed of 80 km/h (50 mph). The Off-Road 2 height is 75 mm above the normal height setting, up to a maximum vehicle speed of 50 km/h (31 mph). The suspension height can change automatically between these heights.

Thanks again,

I’m looking forward to getting the GAP tool from lucky8

The following users liked this post:
houm_wa (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020 | 05:55 PM
Pro Wrench

I have been playing with suspension heights using the GAP tool and currently driving around with normal height +50mm, i set 1 as +25mm and 2 as +50mm, tried to set 3 as + 75mm but it will only go to 52mm. Of road height then adds about 50mm again so thats 4" over normal height which is plenty, i wouldn't want to push it higher than that.

The following users liked this post:
F451_Guy (08-16-2024)
Old 12-11-2021 | 04:12 PM
Three Wheeling

One thing to consider, as I did the Johnson rod (1.5” lift) and now back to stock Rods and Gap tool. I did find that with Johnson rods in the lifted position that the DSC (dynamic stability control) kick in early on decreasing radius curves. Another thing to consider is in the lifter position the air bags are inflated full(er) making for a harder ride and also overinflated airbag could be more prone to puncture and failure.
One avenue also to look at is xlifter and it’s height setting.

Last edited by Amadreas; 12-11-2021 at 04:16 PM.

Quick Reply: IID Tool GAP with Johnson Rods vs IID Tool GAP without Johnson Rods and Height measur