LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indy shop suggesting only changing transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 09:58 AM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Indy shop suggesting only changing transmission fluid

My local indy shop who is a LR master tech first suggested I don't bother with changing the transmission fluid till 150k miles. When I pointed out ZF's recommendations he suggested only changing the fluid, not the filter and quoted $240.

Would it be pointless to only change the fluid and leave the old filter in?

Old 02-07-2014, 10:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

You run the risk of developing a transmission wire loom sleeve leak or even a tranny pan seal leak. I had both. I just had my transmission serviced, had the sleeve and pan changed (the filter is incorporated in the pan). The total cost was around $700. I had a small leak from the sleeve and then had a larger, noticeable leak from the pan seal. I view it as insurance. For me, I would change the pan and the sleeve and not worry about it for another 80 to 100k miles. Phil

Old 02-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

My dealer service department took the same approach; only did the fluid. I guess that's fine for now (I did it right around 100k) but at about 150k I am going to have them change the pan/filter and sleeve as well.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't think for that price, the cost of the genuine ZF lifegaurd 6 fluid would barely be covered. I don't want to spend a lot for maintenance, however, I don't want to skimp either. When I did mine, I switched to a metal pan, but I personally would want to change the pan/filter or put on a pan with a changeable filter.

It's your call..

April 26th 2011

ZF Automatic Passengercar parts distributers

Dear Distributor:

It has come to our attention there is confusion in the field regarding service intervals and fluid recommendations for ZF 5HP and 6HP applications.

ZF has promoted lifetime service for many 5HP and 6HP factory filled transmissions. Lifetime is not clearly defined and each OEM manufacture has there own philosophy. ZF stands behind lifetime recommendation where listed in the vehicle operator’s manual. ZF engineered and tested our fluids to retain its characteristics through normal lifetime operating conditions. However, a spirited driving style, special environmental considerations and other individual driving factors may place higher than normal loads on transmission fluids. To assure proper operation it is advisable to perform a drain and fill at 100,000km/62,000 miles or eight years.

Due to the complexity of operation, high output of current engine offerings and the expectation drivers place on their ZF equipped vehicles ZF only endorses the use of ZF Lifeguard Fluids and parts or OEM approved fluids and parts. Fluids and parts not approved for use by ZF or the original equipment manufacturers have not been tested and may not meet the required demands. Use of these fluids or parts will void factory warranties and warranties placed on aftermarket transmissions remanufactured by ZF. The use of any fluid additives is prohibited as the result will unpredictably change fluid properties potentially resulting in transmission failure.

Some fluids previously recommended were factory fill or available only in the European market. To simplify obtaining the correct recommended fluids ZF now offers Lifguardfluid5, Lifeguardfluid6 and Lifeguardfluid8.

Finally there are some customers that feel the need to perform a transmission oil service as part of their regular maintenance. Changing the fluid more often is entirely their decision. Properly performed oil service will not damage the transmission. Most problems occur due to improper refill procedures, incorrect fluid and or non OE parts or with transmissions that already have a drivability problem. Use of ZF or OE parts and fluid is strongly recommended for best results,

Last edited by unseenone; 02-07-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:36 PM
Overlanding

I just spoke with him (Dave of Discovery Automotive in Cary, NC). He sold me on doing absolutely nothing. He said he has only seen one ZF failure and it was on an abused vehicle. He said he has seen plenty have zero issues at 180k miles.

I asked the question I always like to ask: What would you do?

On his LR3: nothing. He is advocating not spending money with him. Sold.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:38 PM
Overlanding

I should clarify he has driven mine and it shifts great with no sign of any issues. No leaks. Smooth responsive change of gear. No noise.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:14 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ZF lifeguard 6 has a life span of no more than 60k, that being said, some vehicles will experience failures some will not, always change filters, and replacing mecatronic plug adapter is a good idea. Steel pans make a great upgrade relieving the cost of a new plastic pan/filter later.
This service is a fraction of a new or factory rebuild cost.

Bmw has worked with ZF to develop "LIFETIME" fluids, these fluids are meant to be replaced if you plan on keeping the car after warranty expires.

I always encourage our customers to service the transmissions every 50k, factory fluids and filters, we have a zero failure rate on 6hp26 missions with service history until today.

Last edited by trail_beast; 02-08-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:37 AM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Transmission fluid, like any other fluid, degrades over time. This holds true whether the vehicle is abused or not. "Lifetime Fluid" is a marketing gimmick, used by manufacturers to push new car sales. Who doesn't want to buy a car that needs no maintenance during its ownership???

Its called preventative maintenance for a reason. If you wait until you have symptoms, your beyond a fluid/filter change.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:46 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It probably was a BG transmission flush. We do it on all vehicles and it works. Just did it on my ford focus after I bought it. Fluid was burnt and now its clean. But you can't tell on a LR3. Trust me its the cheapest insurance and pays off on any vehicle.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't hear much about ZF transmissions failing. I know BMW uses the same one in the X5.

Quick Reply: Indy shop suggesting only changing transmission fluid