LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intermittent spark? after engine R and R

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2023, 12:22 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermittent spark? after engine R and R

Hello all

I have a 2006 LR3 with the 4.0l V6 330K KM and I am here because I am looking for guidance. Thank you all for your responses in advance.

The short(ish) story

Over the summer,I figured out a way to R and R the engine (without removing the body) and replaced all of the cam timing chain gear along with a new starter plugs harmonic balancer...

Since the re-installation it always turns over fine but about 90% of the time it does not want to fire up.. Fuel pressure seems fine so I suspect spark.
When it runs it runs great... Smooth, it seems to have power and pull. I had it running for close to 1 hr the other day as I warmed up the transmission fluid and topped it off. As I was about to take it on a test drive it stopped running (I was 10 feet away) . I tried to restart it and sometimes it would "bark" a bit once I let go of the key and sometimes the starter would stay engaged so I had to move the key back a position to disengage the starter. Thinking about the last sentence a bit, about the only thing that made sense to me was an issue with the ignition switch.. not the key itself but where it mechanically connects to the switch that slides across the various electrical contacts. So I changed that switch and I still have the problem. Then since it was on my shelf I changed the crankshaft position sensor. Still no change. hmmmmm
So now I am looking at wiring diagrams.. (yeah) and trying to figure out what I may have not plugged back in correctly, or perhaps I have a wire that is slightly frayed.

If this was yours what would you look at how would you test it?

Assuming my old backyard mechanic ears are correct and I am not always getting spark

Can I test for a consistent spark trigger and power at the coil by pulling the 4-wire plug off of one of the coils? Looks like I can pick up power from the black ground and red/w power .. but will a multimeter be quick enough to see the "trigger" on the green wire that comes from the ECM?

Thanks
Scott

Old 12-08-2023, 09:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 715 Likes on 601 Posts

This forum is super North American leaning, as such the V6 is not something that is common here so its hard to get answers. I suggest going to here to probably get much better help: https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/index.php

With that said, spark timed by the crank position sensor. I would test/replace the crank position sensor and possibly the cam position sensor(s).

Old 12-09-2023, 09:23 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

I agree is seems like a crank sensor problem.

When you installed the flywheel did you make sure it was “timed” correctly? It does not have a specific key way.

Old 12-15-2023, 08:25 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you both
Yes I was carefully with the flywheel position

I found it
It was the lead/plug that plugged into the Cam position sensor .... Yeah

It took a bit to find,, Mainly I pulled the ECM to get at the plug and tested end to end the crank and cam sensor with a cheap amazon oscilloscope. I was getting an intermittent signal on the CAM sensor and once I pulled it apart I was definitely the wire.

I got about 15 KM on it with no issues.. then this morning cold a new item has arose.. a Big F came up on the screen (limited gears) and it would not shift out of first gear.. A restart fixed it from staying in first gear, it ran ok the rest of the day today, I have not checked it for codes yet. I also now noticed that I have one brown plug not connected down by the starter and with limited time and mirrors I could not find it's home. Something for later in the week . See first picture taken from underneath on the drivers side.If any of you have an idea please shoot it my way. It's not the oil temp sensor as it's already plugged in. Hopefully it's related to the intermittent shifting issue

also not as important, while putting the battery and fuse cover back on I noticed on the passenger side what looks a windshield washer hose not connected to anything..(second picture) yet the windshield washers works as the fluid comes up on the drivers side.

Thank you all

Edit: Yes I am discovering that the gas V6 is rare.. I have used some Explorer video's to help me make sure I understood how to do the Cam chains.
I am in Ottawa Ontario Canada but will check out the UK Disco3 forum .. Thank you

Last edited by Scott_C; 12-15-2023 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-15-2023, 09:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 715 Likes on 601 Posts

There is oil temp and pressure. I assume oil pressure is okay too? Those sensors are probably very close together like on the 4.4 V8.

The hose is for venting the battery and it looks like it has been pulled out a bit farther than I wold like to see. Make sure that battery is vented, if required. There would be a small plug to remove on either end of the battery and a small elbow to insert that attaches to the hose. In the photo that plug looks like it would be just to the right of the positive connector. Not all batteries require a vent.