LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a 06 LR3 - need advice staying on top of maintence

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 09:51 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with all these guys! I got my LR3 at 62k, knowing I was taking it across country, I expected things to go wrong. Now im here almost a year later with this:

- AMK Compressor
- Front Diff/Transfer/Rear Diff Fluid Changed (@ 73k and NEEDED it, 15k Interval from now on)
- Brake line bleed and flush
- Complete front end rebuild (Lower Control Arms, Wheel Hub Assembly, Brakes and Rotors, Tie Rods)
- Transmission Fluid Drain/Refill (Might change the pan and filter next time, NO EVIDENCE shows that its needed for maintenance, just peace of mind)
- Oil change every 3k, Air Filter every 3rd Oil Change (Sooner if I feel like it )

After seeing the stuff about Brake Switch and PVC Valve Cover, that will be next!

Awesome vehicles! Done a lot to mine and hope to continue building it! Goodluck!

Old 01-28-2015, 07:46 AM
fso
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THX Oasisplayer311, I have the opportunity to buy a warranty through my credit union even with my high miles. 5k for 2 years/24k miles. I'm thinking it may be a good idea...

Thoughts?

Old 01-28-2015, 11:08 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
A fried brake switch causes an HDC and Suspension Fault. It also inhibits selection of any special programs via Terrain Response.

Ahhhh now it makes sense why its so important to replace asap. That is now at the top of my list. Thank you Sir!

-K9 Hexe

Old 01-28-2015, 11:24 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 459 Likes on 410 Posts

Well that and it's really cheap and easy to do...

Old 01-28-2015, 11:05 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by fso
THX Oasisplayer311, I have the opportunity to buy a warranty through my credit union even with my high miles. 5k for 2 years/24k miles. I'm thinking it may be a good idea...

Thoughts?
Just depends. Do you have a good Indy shop near by? You can do A LOT with 5k. The biggest expenses for me were the compressor and front end rebuild. Still, that didn't cost me more than $3300. So it's a gamble. A lot of the major issues seem to have been addressed. I would put that 5k in savings for a rainy day.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

A thought on the brake switch... I recently replaced mine just for peace of mind since there seem to be no warning signs of a failure. They just wear out over time. However, I took my old brake switch and now keep it as part of my spares box in the car... just in case. I figure it will still be good enough (since I didn't have a problem with it) to get me home at which point I can order a new one.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:37 AM
fso
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone post some more info on the brake switch? This part here?

Land Rover LR3 Discovery 3 V6 V8 05 09 Switch Brake Stop Light XKB500110 | eBay

Old 01-29-2015, 11:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

That's it!

I also typed up something on your question about the warranty earlier, but lost it when the page refreshed. Basically, was just trying to make the point that $5k is a LOT of money for a warranty IMHO, but only you can decide if it's worth it or not. We don't know the history of your car or the noises that it makes or the way it drives... there may be hints of things that need to be fixed or may fail soon, but the next two years may be perfectly problem free. You'll have a better feel for that than any of us. All I can say is that $5k would buy a crapload (official quantity) of preventive maintenance items. Might simply be better to invest some of that money in a code reader/scanner/tool and fix some of the common failure items now, though it sounds like most of these things have been replaced already.

The only other things I would add to the list (and some have already been stated) are:
1. Replace the front diff breather cap with the updated part if it hasn't been done already
2. Don't know when the diffs were replaced, but don't wait too long to replace the fluid in those... everybody had their own theory about how long to go between changes - my personal belief is probably 30-45k on the diffs and 60-75k on the transfer case. If the transfer case fluid has never been changed in your car, do it now!
3. Transmission fluid flush (or rather complete drain and refill) - also do this now if it has never been done. Filter replacement is a PITA, and debatable as to whether it's really worth the time and effort at your mileage.
3. Brake light switch.
4. Coolant bleeder T (also if it has never been done, flush and refill coolant system)
5. Replace EAS compressor drier every few years (3 years'ish) so that you don't have to deal with another compressor replacement. However, I think I read that LRNA may have stopped supplying this part by itself?
6. Simple things like check/clean out the sunroof drains to make sure they don't back up and leak water into the cab.

It wouldn't surprise me if you have a wheel bearing that starts to go before too long. Might never happen, but that's about the mileage it happened on my Audi and it does not seem to be an uncommon occurrence on these trucks as well.

That's about all I can think of for now. Good luck!!

Old 01-29-2015, 01:21 PM
Mudding

I'd agree about the warranty - if it's a $5K lump of cash rather than monthly chunks, I would keep the money where it is. Also read the warranty print very very carefully - I looked at one which my dealer offered but it actually excluded some of the LR features like the air suspension (so that's your compressor and all the other plumbing) which is where your money might go. I think I probably spent the following when I got the LR (07 at 75K miles)
- new compressor
- new lower control arms
- new front wheel hubs/bearing
- new Electric Park Brake module

I replaced the diff and transfer case oils myself - no worse than an oil change and cheap insurance for the parts cost

I'm nowhere near the $5K spend and currently have two years and 93K miles now. I bought the ZF transmission fluid and will swap that out before 100K just to be on the safer side. I don't plan to drop the pan/change the filter unless something really nasty comes out the drain.

Honestly you're probably also better off looking at spending some of that 'warranty' cash on a good diagnostic tool like IID or Nanocom Evolution so you can get beyond "check engine light came on" and be more informed about what your problems may be. It will pay for itself, mine did.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 459 Likes on 410 Posts

This is all good advice. I have literally done ALL of those items in the list. Also agree that $5k is a lot of money for only 2 years of coverage, but if you wind up buying two new diffs and a compressor you're right there. So it would pay to know what you're up against in the next few years.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 06 LR3 - need advice staying on top of maintence