LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fob Circuitry/Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 08:23 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Key Fob Circuitry/Replacement

Hello All!
I just pulled the trigger on an 06' LR3 SE with 142k miles- After a significant amount of research and the use of a 3rd party inspection, I found a LR3 close to me with excellent service records indicating all regular maintenance was done and at a Land Rover dealer. I am hoping that it will serve me well as a daily driver with light-medium off-roading activities. I am in the process of getting the Johnson Rod replacement and light kit. One thing that was bugging me was the horrible state of the key fob!

I purchased an aftermarket fob and watched the vids on how to move the guts to a new case. It was a REAL PAIN IN THE ***! During this gory activity, i damaged the circuitry and it does not work anymore. I have the cut key, just need to get a new circuit board and programming. My question is:
  • Has anybody damaged the circuits?
  • Has anyone used aftermarket vendors to replace the board?
    • If so, what company/vendor did you use?
  • How would i go about reprogramming the circuits?
Please let me know!
James

Old 04-04-2018, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

I would contact Abran here on the forum he offers reasonably priced rebuilt keys

The following users liked this post:
jbullock78 (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 09:11 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was in almost your same exact boat 06 SE and they key looked like a german Shepard had gotten to it. First off yes contact Abran see what he has. If not then there is 2 roads you can go. First the dealer which is going to be expensive. I needed the key ASAP so I coughed up the 700 *yikes* for a new key and programming from them. The other option is purchase a Gap IID tool and then you can get keys/fobs online and use the tool to program them yourself. However I have yet to find a 3rd party shop that can cut a key that works. Its laser cut so they can charge 700 but at the same time hold a monopoly on new keys. Personally I would take the second route the IID tool will save your butt more times than you can count. I know it has for me especially with a over 10 year old rover. Mines great and has been very reliable but again they're Rovers. If I had my IID tool when I splashed water on my gear shifter I could of cleared the codes and went on. Instead it cost 1200 at the dealer because they refused to just clear the codes. They had to sell me something lol.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:32 AM
Mudding

Memphis-
Thanks for your response! I was looking at the IID tool as well, Perhaps I will move that to the top of the acquisition list.
Fortunately, I have the original key so no laser cutting needed- Just reprogramming :-)
I will also reach out to Abran and see what he has to say-
Thanks All,
James

Old 04-04-2018, 09:38 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

There are some aftermarket circuits that are sold on eBay that sometimes work but it’s hit or miss. If they do work they do not have a charging circuitry so the batteries end up dying after a year or so.

The key blade can be cut by a machine called a sidewinder. It’s a basic 2 headed machine that traces the old while cutting the new.

If the remote you have will no longer start the vehicle you will need to order a brand new dealer key and have them code or use the GAP tool to code.

Refurbished or aftermarket remotes can only be coded if an existing remote with functional immobilizer chip is present.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:59 AM
Mudding

Thank you Abran,
Fortunately, I have the extra key that functions with the vehicle, however, the lock function of the remote is broken the unlock button works. So It is coded to the vehicle.
Also, I still have the physical key component so no need for any laser cutting.
So I if i have one working key (albeit limited) an aftermarket key could be programmed using it?
Any clarification would be great!

I will mostly likely get the IID Tool for error issues as I have read a lot about them and the cost for repair. Now with that the question is the iLAND unit or IID Tool.
Thanks!
James

Old 04-04-2018, 12:08 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

If you have a key that starts the car, an aftermarket(if it works) or a refurbished remote will code with the GAP tool

Old 04-04-2018, 03:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Hey, if you get the IIDTool you won't need the Johnson Rods. Is it too late to cancel that order? You can save a few $$ that way.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:46 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please contact Abran he just reprogrammed my new remote.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:38 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m having a similar problem. Bought an 06 LR3 HSE last week. Key fob case was replaced by the import dealer I bought it from for cosmetic sales reasons I assume. The lock button works to lock the doors with the remote but unlock doesn’t work. Key starts the car just fine. I have to unlock the doors manually with the key, alarm goes off, I have to put key in ignition to stop alarm. The closest rover dealer is 3 hours away... can I purchase an eBay key and have abran program it? How would he do this from a cross country? I’m in Michigan. We have a few locksmiths around and specialty rover/bmw/Audi/etc shops, would they posses such tool like the IID tool?

Quick Reply: Key Fob Circuitry/Replacement