LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Land Rover LR3 Transmission Fault

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 08:07 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Land Rover LR3 Transmission Fault

Hello, this is my first post. I’ve looked through previous threads and not found the same problem that I’m experiencing. Please point me in the direction of other threads if you know this has been brought up before.

I’m currently driving the Pan American highway from Vancouver to Ushuaia.

Over the past couple of days we’ve got bogged down in some wet snow. No biggie, happy to dig ourselves out but as soon as we get a little wheel spin we get a series of error codes and twice we’ve had the transmission fault light come on. I’ve posted the codes below that come up after we get stuck and get this fault. I’ve cleared them twice and everything is good during normal driving condition. Car runs very well until these couple of sticky situations. The terrain response modes also won’t work after getting the transmission’F’.

Thanks in advance. Hopefully someone may have experienced this before and know what’s going on.

Mark

Old 02-21-2023, 07:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

It’s likely that the last 3 codes are symptoms of the first code (P0706). More serious trouble codes will shut down modules and you get a cascading effect of communications codes. If you ever experience a problem such as a Trans Fault and only have the communications or module failure codes (I.e. no P-codes) then its probably a module failing or more likely a wiring fault (short to ground, severed wire, etc).

Here’s a tutorial on the P0706 code from a well regarded source:

Might I add, the trip you are doing is amazing. It’s on my bucket list for sure. Do you have a blog/vlog or other means that we can follow along? I’m really curious what you’ve got for ultra long distance remote travel with an LR3/D3.

The following users liked this post:
houm_wa (02-21-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 02:15 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@SeattleDriver Thank you for the quick responce. I will have a look into the wiring. Should I start at the connector going into the transmission?

People can follow us on instagram. I said I'd start a website but I havent gotten round to putting it together yet. Our instagram is @Southern_discovery. There are some photos of the interior build but appart from those mods its mostly stock. Might get some lift rods and a spare wheel carrier before we leave the states. We're currently dodging blizzards and heavy rain in california. Baja should be around mid March.

I'll post in a couple of days if I find anything with the wiring around the transmission.

Thanks again

Old 03-03-2023, 03:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Starting at the connector is a good first step, you might find a chaffed wire or something obvious. Unless you’ve serviced the transmission in the last few thousand miles, it’s unlikely there is a problem with the connector or pins themselves.

Id suggest taking it by a LR mechanic while you are still stateside for some checks.

Rather than lift rods, you’d be better served with something like the GAP IID tool. Running lift rods is going to give you a rough ride much of the time, and you won’t always need the extra ground clearance. The GAP tool will allow you program a higher ride when you need it, bypassing the speed warnings that come with Off-Road Height mode. It will also be a better tool for reading/clearing trouble codes and can provide live data from all your control modules, which will help you diagnose problems yourself. It would be helpful for diagnosing your current problem even (or at least give some direction).