LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED grill light bar install

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 03:06 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts
Default LED grill light bar install

Been wanting to do this forever and bought the bar around 6 months ago.

I first needed to remove some material from the radiator support to fit in behind the grill. I finally got around to mocking up the grill this weekend, but once I had it cut and the light bar in place, I realized I lost the whole row of cooling vents.

I purchased a mesh grill off ebay and will retry with that. Here is a teaser. I also mounted my ARB compressor and dual battery.

The following users liked this post:
salvo2002 (10-06-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 09:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Man, that's cool. I had no idea you could actually get Carling switches to fit on the overhead console... let alone that many of them. I may have to give that a shot. What size battery is that in the spare compartment? Can you still get the compartment lid on?

Old 09-05-2017, 09:18 PM
Winching
Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts
Default I like the light in the top of the grill

I got a white one on Amazgotand put it in the upper part of the grill as well. Made mounting easier. Unfortunately the Rover was flooded out last week and I never got to use it off road.

I am curious how you mounted yours. I may want to do mine differently when I get a new LR3. What battery system is that?

Keep up the mods and upgrades, they look good.

Jeff

Old 09-05-2017, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

I'm curious where you went through the firewall to run the wiring for the switches

Old 09-05-2017, 09:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
I'm curious where you went through the firewall to run the wiring for the switches
The only spot I know of is that one hole behind the aux battery box (comes out to the left of the brake pedal). You can actually get a surprising number of wires stuffed into that little hole.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by cmb6s
You can actually get a surprising number of wires stuffed into that little hole.
That's what she said......

Cool thanks, need to wire at least 2 switches so far.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:08 PM
Baja

I have not wired anything yet but planning to use above mentioned hole.

National Luna battery system(we sell frontrunner products now, so I had to try it). I had to bend the post clamps sideways to make the lid fit. So the posts are now bent to the side instead of vertical.

pics of battery for size reference below. Battery also has female threaded mounts on side for extra terminal connections. I've got a 1500 watt inverter that will get hooked to those and 0AWG wired to back cargo area. Solenoid it tucked back behind brake lines.

just got my Devon4x4 hidden winch mount today and already have a Warn VR12S, winch will get wired to main battery, so I have a ton of work to do!

Old 09-05-2017, 10:13 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by Rufflyer
I got a white one on Amazgotand put it in the upper part of the grill as well. Made mounting easier. Unfortunately the Rover was flooded out last week and I never got to use it off road.

I am curious how you mounted yours. I may want to do mine differently when I get a new LR3. What battery system is that?

Keep up the mods and upgrades, they look good.

Jeff
Are you concerned about the loss of airflow to the rad?

The hidden winch mount is already going to restrict some flow, so I opted for an after market mesh grill.

I'm not going to use the brackets the light bar came with, too bulky to fit. I have some thin metal 90 degree bracket from the hardware store I'm using.

Ill update once it's mounted with photos.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:17 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by cmb6s
Man, that's cool. I had no idea you could actually get Carling switches to fit on the overhead console... let alone that many of them. I may have to give that a shot. What size battery is that in the spare compartment? Can you still get the compartment lid on?
If you notice, my sunroof switch is not in. I've decided to make it non op. You can't mount switches above it if you plan on keeping it. It has a 90 connector that's in the way.

FYI, sunroof switch opening is exact size for carling switches, so I will add a master switch there for all accessories.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:55 PM
Winching
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

How is the aux battery vented? I know you can run into corrosion issues with the main battery if the vent tube is disconnected or clogged and all the electronics in the area.

Quick Reply: LED grill light bar install