LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

left rear door lock issues, is it the actuator or the inside door handle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 06:35 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't recall what the manual says, but the window regulator has not been a big challenge. The worst part of this job is removing the external door cable from the latch. I believe the book will tell you to remove the external handle, which may or may not make it easier. I've been able to remove and re-attach through the striker/catch opening in the door.

Old 10-18-2020, 12:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I finally got around to trying the method described in the youtube video. It worked! rear driver's side door latch and lock now work flawlessly. I just bent the small arm down, as described in the video and boom. A couple of pointers that may help others doing this repair.

1. be sure to remove the door window glass from the window regulator, it will give you the added access to make this job much easier. The glass clamped into place by a plastic piece. Just spread the receiver piece, hold the glass in place, I used a micro fiber towel and wedged it on the inside of the window. Then push the window switch to drop the window, regulator retracts and glass is released.
2. Remove the outside door handle, it allows free access to the door handle in order to connect the release cable. The outside door handle has the plastic caps on the handle itself and on the stationary piece to the rear. Those plastic piece snap off and reveal the door handle base. There is one screw that is accessed from the inside and then a push pin on the outside on the forward side of the handle base, it is oblong and has Land Rover in raised letters on it. pull it out and the handle base will then shift forward and out.
3. Double check the cable connections on the inside door lock and release handle, ask me how I know......I got a little careless and ended up not putting it in the right place. When I closed the door, it wouldn't open from the inside or outside. luckily, I was able to get access to the release cable by pulling the door panel away from the door itself.....

Great fix by the youtube poster, thank you. (I had purchased a replacement actuator from a salvage yard or ebay, can't recall which, it had a broken plastic locking lever, so I ended up using the original one in the truck).

Phil

2005 LR3, just sold
2006 Range Rover Sport
2010 Range Rover Sport

Old 10-20-2020, 03:07 PM
Mudding
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

I have the same exact issue with my driver’s side rear door. Gonna try this fix.