LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Less than 2 weeks, first problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 09:53 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Unbelievable story for you guys. The car was moved out from under our oversized giant carport yesterday for our vehicles and is stuck where it is. Started raining on the way home after the weather said there was zero percent chance of rain. Well, now we are laying here watching tv, and a golfball sized hail storm lust blew through. She doesn't know whether to laugh or cry. just keeps saying "you've got to be fu$@*ng kidding me".

Old 03-02-2016, 10:04 PM
Mudding

My god......third round of hail coming down.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

Fuuuuuuuck!!!!

The following users liked this post:
illbuildit (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 01:03 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by EstorilM
Yeah, some other stuff has been mentioned since the posts earlier - but from the clues so far I'm pretty well narrowed down to the rectifier (internal to the alternator.) Or starter 4ga wire.

I think in the battery junction box there's a nut that holds the large gauge wire from the alternator. Double check first, but if you leave the wire FROM the battery and disconnect the large wire to the alternator, you should be able to reconnect the battery without an arc. If so, you're done. (I think thats what disco.co.uk guy did). You could also attempt to start vehicle, but wouldn't do much other than a ton of warnings / dash lights - should start tho. New alternator time.
Oops - I missed a whole page of posts. Should have read more completely!

Sorry to hear about the hail...sometimes you can't win for loosing.

illbuildit (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 07:41 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Did the glass roof survive? The heated windshields in these things are like $550 too... insurance time!

Hope everything turned out okay.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:50 AM
Mudding

There were only three dents on the hood that I could find. One was very noticeable, the others very small. Others usually show up later. We got lucky on that considering the debris from the trees on the ground and the paint that was knocked off the house. Glass is all good.

Now we're getting in touch with the dealership about getting the problem resolved. Hopefully this will be painless.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Argh. Sorry to hear about that. I tried to keep my LR3 all pretty and shiny for a while, but if you actually take it offroad, you're bound to beat it up anyway. I haven't done anything too bad yet... just lots of scratches on the bottom of the truck and bumpers and some nice pinstriping down the side. Point is... make an insurance claim, then use the money to buy offroad goodies. Don't use it to fix the hood... or if you do, look for a used hood from somebody parting out an LR3.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:18 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by cmb6s
Argh. Sorry to hear about that. I tried to keep my LR3 all pretty and shiny for a while, but if you actually take it offroad, you're bound to beat it up anyway. I haven't done anything too bad yet... just lots of scratches on the bottom of the truck and bumpers and some nice pinstriping down the side. Point is... make an insurance claim, then use the money to buy offroad goodies. Don't use it to fix the hood... or if you do, look for a used hood from somebody parting out an LR3.
Ha I can't help but to laugh because we think so much alike. And as much as I would like a roof rack, I think running boards may be ahead in importance..

Old 03-03-2016, 10:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

FYI, I found that I had bookmarked this video on YouTube. Might help you out if you're going to do an alternator replacement yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF37...ature=youtu.be

illbuildit (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 10:37 AM
Mudding

Ah cool. YouTube has gotten me through many vehicle situations. Thanks

Quick Reply: Less than 2 weeks, first problem