LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lights and Rain Sensing Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 02:43 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lights and Rain Sensing Wipers

I have had my LR3HSE 2006 vehicle for a couple months now and I am still trying to determine if the lights switch on automatically when it's raining or it is just coincidence that it's always dark enough for the lights to come on when it's raining as well as the rain sensing wipers. Is there any logic to activate the lights when it's raining? I live in a state where it is mandatory to have your lights on when it is raining. I normally have the light switch in automatic mode.

Another question, how can I tell that the external lights are on (at night it's obvious but during the day)? The interior lights seem to be on a separate sensor so I can't always tell for sure.
I noticed in the newer LR3's there is a greenidiot light on the dashboard that is illuminated when the lights are on. This is something that allcars in the UK have and so it seems that it is includedin the later model LR3's.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Lights and Rain Sensing Wipers

its not programed into the software for it to turn on the lights when the sensor thinks its raining... however, it generally will. the two sensors are right next to each other, and work in very similar ways, so, basicly if the rain sensor thinks its raining, the light sensor will think its dark. as to knowing the lights are on, the interior illumination should be controlled on whenever the lights are on, you might want to see if you have it dimmed on the lighting switch, still wont be real easy to see but i cant think of another way off the top of my head

Old 09-07-2008, 06:55 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lights and Rain Sensing Wipers

Carried out a scientific test... it was a bright sunny day so I gotthe hose pipe out and poured water over the windshield!The wipers came on and after about 20-30 seconds of continous wiping, the headlights also fired up as well. The lightsseem to stay on for a minute or two after the wipers have stopped so at least I now know what happens.

The best way I found to figure out if the lights are on from inside in daylight is to put my hand up to the LED (in front of the interior lights) that shines down at nightthat provideslow-level illumination on to the gear selector area.

Thanks for the info.