LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy LR3 - HD? and others

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 05:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 711 Likes on 599 Posts
Default Looking to buy LR3 - HD? and others

Im getting an LR3 for sure at this point. I need something to tackle remote areas of North Dakota, Montana, etc. And something to camp in. Rover seems to be the way to go. I am very, very mechanically capable (rebuild a BMW V12 M70 for example). Based on reading, I should. be able to tackle any major issues.

Some questions:
On HD package, which for me will be a must, I need some clarification. It appears that when changing modes, in low, to terrain that the lock icons appear on the info center. If no HD package installed then they lock icons will still be there but either not activate or deactivate at the same time. For one vehicle I drove, I found the transfer case locked but the diff did not. I was not off-roading though. It unlocked going into reverse. Makes me thing it does have the HD package. Sound right? As for looking at an options list/build-sheet. This VIN simply does not bring up any of that info in Topix or elsewhere. I am still waiting to hear back from Rover USA about obtaining a build-sheet. The vehicle has most other options (Navi screen, Xenon, Fog lamps, etc, etc. so having HD is not a far stretch). And as for looking underneath - I tried. I have no clue as to exactly where to look, just not familiar enough with the scenic view

How durable are the engines? Another I looked at has considerable milage at over 190k for a 2005 year. But it has recently replaced suspension, tie rod ends, etc. So that adds value on that end but not if the head gaskets may blow sometime soon (which I may just replace the gaskets anyway and do a top-end rebuild if I get it).

One had a fairly even vibration under acceleration like a wheel unbalance. I suspect a drive shaft center bearing or such. Monster project?

Seems most I drove are actually in better shape than expected for an older ride. Electronics were, shockingly, good. I know front suspension bushings are an issue. Fluids changes are critical. Air ride compressors go out (I am used to work on air-ride, so im not too worried). Sunroof drains clog. I guess the fuel injectors may need cleaning form what I read. Anything else?

Note: On the transmission, I read this snip it:

******** BIG Short cut on this job:
Lower the plastic pan as much as possible hacksaw the sump pipe off the filter pan then the pan will slide out without all the cross member removal and jacking up the engine!
Replace plastic pan with metal low profile sump pan and separate filter from BMW ZF6HP as found on X5 etc 👍

Anyone try this method?

Old 11-20-2017, 06:59 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Locking:

Non locking:

Old 11-20-2017, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Then engines seem really solid in the LR3 as long as the basics are done, air filter, plugs OIL CHANGES. Nothing out of the ordinary really, except for the stupid plastic bleeder Tee on the top of the motor. Replace it with brass.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:49 PM
Winching
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Yes, metal trans pan works great.

Full sized spare is often a good indication of HD package as well, but not 100%. Look on top of the rear diff with it in off road height. You should see a small cylindrical black motor on top of the diff if it is an HD package equipped truck. As others have said, HD is nice, but not a must in 95% of conditions.

Engines seem to be good as long as you keep enough oil in them and watch the PCV valve.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:10 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

While full-sized spare is not a 100% indication of a locking diff, a non full-sized spare IS a 100% indication of either: an open diff...OR, a locking diff on an LR3 with a dip$hit owner that you wouldn't want to buy from anyway.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Our 07 has a full size spare but no locking diff

Old 11-21-2017, 02:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

06, full size spare, no locking diff.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Absolutely....that's why it's not a 100% indicator. Plenty of people likely chose to upgrade spare wheel/tire on their non-HD LR3. My other point was that the other direction (i.e., having an HD truck and deciding to put a donut under it) would be foolish AF, so if the spare is a donut there is a 99.99% chance that it's non-HD. In the 0.01% case, the owner is a moron.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 711 Likes on 599 Posts

Thanks for the input so far. So the locking DIF has a much larger body. That is certainly what I saw. As for the spare, I have read that many times over so I did not ask about. Most say the only way to know is to get a build sheet (still nothing from Rover USA...) or look at the diff. While I did, I already rear about the other way I described so one does not need to crawl under. For the others I looked at, I could pull up the build to see if they had HD or not. No HD, then I have no interest.

Im still looking at a couple others including an HSE. The HSE variants are not at all common in my area. Seem most are SE models that are very well equip, some even with leather seats versus that poor stuff that seems to rip and fall apart easily. Those also seem to have ripped back seat pockets also.

I guess the flip side is I am not looking for perfection, just a good base to build on to make a good traveling machine.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:03 AM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi. Where ecactly are you based? I will be in Thief River Falls over Christmas. It's in Minnesota, about an hour East of Grand Forks, North Dakota. I have an 07 SHE with HD package and with Winch. You're welcome to come and play around with it if you're close enough. I live in Madison, Wisconsin. I do most of my own work, and am happy to share my experiences with you. Cheers, Simon.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy LR3 - HD? and others