LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 (2006) Screaming park brake.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 05:47 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR3 (2006) Screaming park brake.

Hello all.

This is my first post and I am looking for advice on the parking brake assembly. My LR3 starting squealing when the parkbrake was applied, whilst parked up hill. This has now over two weeks permeantly squeels when parked on a hill and now 80% of the time on the flat. I took it to a garage who has stated that the acctuator has gone and it will cost $2600+ to completely replace.

This is obviously quiet expensive when viewed against the cost of the vehicle. I also had the same fault in the Middle East but it was fixed there for the equvilant of $1500.

How much is a resonable amount to pay? Is it something I could do?

Looking forward to your commnets.

Cheers.

Old 07-25-2020, 06:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by VinJones
Hello all.

This is my first post and I am looking for advice on the parking brake assembly. My LR3 starting squealing when the parkbrake was applied, whilst parked up hill. This has now over two weeks permeantly squeels when parked on a hill and now 80% of the time on the flat. I took it to a garage who has stated that the acctuator has gone and it will cost $2600+ to completely replace.

This is obviously quiet expensive when viewed against the cost of the vehicle. I also had the same fault in the Middle East but it was fixed there for the equvilant of $1500.

How much is a resonable amount to pay? Is it something I could do?

Looking forward to your commnets.

Cheers.

Goodness!!! That's a very high quote imo. That parking brake system has some troubleshooting system built in to "un jam". It's perhaps worth trying that and a few other things that can be done with a code reader. I played around with that system a few hours ago for fun. If the actuator is indeed ruined, you could certainly find one used for a couple hundred bucks I suspect and install it. Not sure how handy you are, I'm fighting through the air suspension system leaks myself all this week but it'll get figured out. I think the prices they're quoting you is insane honestly. In my case, it's more than 4x what I paid for my LR3.

Old 07-25-2020, 06:43 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 777 Likes on 651 Posts

If you use it a lot when it screams, you will only damage it. There is no need to use it on a flat surface. It is likely screaming because its out of adjustment.

If the parking actuator is not seriously damaged, then you probably can just adjust the parking brakes. Read up in this PDF on how to do so.

Attached Files
Old 07-25-2020, 06:46 PM
4th Gear

Hi, and thanks for the reply. Its half what I paid for the LR3 and apart from this its in excellent condition. You have confirmed what I thought, the only problem now is that they say they have locked the brakes up???

I am going in on Monday to see what they say in person.

Old 07-25-2020, 06:49 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
If you use it a lot when it screams, you will only damage it. There is no need to use it on a flat surface. It is likely screaming because its out of adjustment.

If the parking actuator is not seriously damaged, then you probably can just adjust the parking brakes. Read up in this PDF on how to do so.
Thank you, I will....